Interview with Folk-Grunge Artist Michael Webster




By Mick Michaels





The Cosmick View: Hello, Michael and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us! 

CV: Describe your definition of your sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
Michael Webster: I usually describe the music as folk-grunge…it’s a combination of all of my influences - ranging from 90’s alternative and grunge, to folksingers like Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
MW: I think it’s essential to be honest! I run events and gigs as well as playing at them myself and it’s fantastic to see people coming down to them week in, week out. Some of my good friends are the people who come down as well!

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of your inner culture?
MW: Yeah, definitely. I love playing new songs for people, and getting feedback on what works, what doesn’t - it keeps you grounded as well.

CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
MW: There’s a difficult balance between privacy and work when it comes to music. I think that a lot of the time, you’re putting yourself fully in the public view and it definitely spills into private, non-musical time.

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
MW: I think not only in different cultures, but even within some areas - for example, I know some people who don’t even listen to music at all, and then on the contrast people who are involved in music in some capacity always! For me, I’d say that it’s an essential part of my life, both socially, for enjoyment, work, I can’t see myself not doing it.

CV: Do you feel that an artist or band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see that artist or band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
MW: I think it can very much depend on the band. There’s a lot of bands that let’s say have a more general sound that could be well-received all over the world, but then within each population there’s always going to be people who have different tastes. There’s always an enticement for people to see acts they can’t see often, for example those who are from other countries, though.

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
MW: I think that everyone has the potential to be creative. Modern-day technology really in my opinion has just made the process of connecting with audiences much easier - people in other countries, of different classes, backgrounds and that can access your music simply by the touch of a button.


CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
MW: Ah, this is a difficult one! I think that even artists who set trends also have a tendency to follow them - it’s very hard for individuals to fully blaze their own trail nowadays. I think the most important thing is for an artist to just be themselves.

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
MW: Personally, I don’t see genres as, say, barriers for people. I think they’re a great way to define a sound, but I listen to a huge range of music and if it’s good, I’m into it. Simply, it’s a definition!

CV: What can fans expect to see coming next from you?
MW: I’ve got an EP out on the 17th of December! I’ve worked proper hard on it, it’s around 3 years of work in the making. It’s called “a northern perspective” and you can find it at Bandcamp.

CV: Thanks again Michael for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.

Check out Michael at:
Facebook: /michaelwebstermusic
Twitter: @mchlwbstr
Instagram: @mchlwbstr

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/337KNnNPPHatcOU7epvTLT
Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/artist/michael-webster/4348685

Bandcamp:
https://michaelwebster.bandcamp.com/

 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates

Comments