Interview with UK Blues Sensation Aynsley Lister



By Mick Michaels





Cosmick View: Hello, Aynsley! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thanks for taking some time out of your day to speak with us. It's greatly appreciated.


CV: How would you describe the differences between British Blues and American Blues? Is there a difference or is it all just really branches from the same tree?

Aynsley Lister: I guess it’s all branches from the same tree. We took it from America in the beginning, and then kind of re-exported it back over there. In the 60’s blues boom era, it was artists like John Mayall and Alexis Corner who were taking what the Americans were doing and re-energizing it. Eric Clapton was quite influential in creating a sound that many others followed - a Gibson Les Paul into a Marshall amp running flat out. It had never really been done before and definitely set the trend and created a sound I immediately connected with.

The buzz here for that put the spotlight on the now well known American artists like BB King and reinvigorated the interest in them. I suppose it’s a bit like how Jimi Hendrix had to come to London and make it here in order to make it back in America.

 

CV: "Along for the Ride" is the new album coming out this November. It marks your 8th studio release. Tell us a little about the new record and what can fans expect?
AL: It’s an album that kind of encapsulates everything that makes me tick, both as a musician, songwriter and as a person. Thematically it’s about the journey we all take through life: the twists, the turns…the unexpected. It’s something I think about a lot and am fascinated with - it’s about real world stuff that everyone can relate to.

I have so many musical influences and you can definitely hear that on this album, whether it be a classic old style slow blues, a full on in your face rock thing or a chilled out mood and everything in between. I really love creating a mood within a song to be the right backdrop for the lyrical content and theme of the song. I also love trying new things and on this there are a couple of tracks that people might not be expecting from me!! I got really into the TV series ‘Killing Eve’; and wrote two songs based on it that are almost soundtrack like - kind of James Bond meets Pink Floyd!


CV: When a new album is done and ready to be released to the world, how much of you is left on the table…how much of your soul is put into the record?

AL: Everything, literally every part of my being goes into it. I can’t do it with only half a heart in it…it has to be all or nothing. I push myself every time to try and raise the bar. Emotionally and mentally I am 100% spent by the time it’s done!

 

CV: Music has a way of expressing things that words sometimes cannot. What do you feel your music is saying to the world?
AL: I like the idea that my music can transport people somewhere in some way. It can be healing and it can be uplifting, it can put you in a certain mood or take you from one. I think more than anything, I want to create music that moves people rather than impresses them.

 

CV: Is songwriting for you a matter of tapping into hidden parts of your psyche or even a stirring of deep-seeded, buried emotions or is it more of an “in the moment” sort of process?
AL: I still can’t quite figure out how it happens when I write. I’ve tried to reverse engineer it so I can manage it to my advantage but so far that hasn’t worked! It’s definitely an in the moment thing and catches me unaware sometimes. Sometimes I will just get very clear and vivid ideas of either or theme or a musical idea, it can be out of the blue but quite often I can visualize an entire song straight away.


CV: Do you feel that in this day and age, an artist can freely cross genres without the fear of being labeled a "sell out" or even risk losing their core fan audience in your opinion?

AL: I think the best thing anyone can do as an artist is be true to who they are and people will believe in that more than anything. Whether or not it fits into a genre is very hard for most artists because there is so much cross over in most music. I started my career known as a blues musician but even in the early days I crossed over into other genres and over the years it’s got even more eclectic. When I write through, I don’t try and write a blues song or a rock song, it’s just a song to me.


CV: Many critics seem to feel music is not evolving; that it's only maintaining a level that appeases to the lowest common denominator? Do you agree with such a sentiment? And does such a belief on behalf of these critics actually insult those who are really listening in your opinion?

AL: There is so much music out there! I do think there is some out there that is just ‘of the minute’ or has nothing new in it, or music that is just repeating what has already been done but at the same time, there’s stuff out there that’s incredible. I think music is always evolving.

Music is so unbelievably subjective and everyone hears it differently but I think good music will always be good music, whether or not it’s your kind of thing. I think there will always be great music out there and if these critics can’t find it then they’re not looking hard enough.

 

CV: Have you ever felt limited or pigeon-holed by the type or style of music you write and perform?
AL: Occasionally I might have someone who likes the bluesier stuff I do over the more song based material but you know what? That’s OK with me! If that’s how they connect with me as an artist then how can that be a bad thing? I’m known as a blues artist but anyone who has any of my albums knows it goes way beyond that and always has from the very start and they’re still coming back for more…I’m still going some 25 years on so can’t complain really!


CV: What more can fans expect to see coming from you as the New Year begins to get closer?

AL: We’re gonna be trying to get out to play live everywhere we can. I love being on stage and performing for people and we just haven’t done that enough that past couple of years, so look out for live shows near you.


CV: Thanks again Aynsley for taking the time to share with our readers. We wish you all the best and continued success.

AL: Thank you! It’s a pleasure.


Check out Aynsley at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aynsleylister/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AynsleyLister

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/aynsleylister/

Website: https://www.aynsleylister.co.uk/

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/7hueZY91Csxv57p4KnPVcU

 

Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

Comments