Interview with the Band Kollaps



By Mick Michaels





The Cosmick View: Hello, and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us! 

CV: Describe your definition of the band’s sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
Kollaps: The definition is usually attributed by the listener and in some regards I feel like I have no business to sit around mulling over these ideas. It is described often by others as post-industrial and I accept that this as a fair and accurate designation. My own definitions are more descriptive terms for particular sounds that I’m aiming to achieve in Kollaps; I usually aim for ‘suffocating’ sounds for example, which I feel create feelings of anxiety and of being overpowered but I like to think a fairly wide palate of sounds are used across a records worth of material so I’d hope not to have to narrow it down to specifically.

CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
Kollaps: I think it is certainly achievable but it isn’t so frequent as artists like to claim that it is. Many people following musicians and artists for a variety of reasons and sometimes that isn’t for the intention to connection with art or music…. The music industry is very fashion orientated and the consumers of music are as well; so often one can find people at concerts can be very superficially inclined and lost in the hype of an certain acts of the month and indeed many artists are looking at their music as a product and as a career option – so I think this common sentiment of artist/audience connection, while certainly possible, is mostly a farce and something that is said to make this kind of argument that their music and art is altruistic or somehow intrinsic in emotionally valuable.

Personally, I have had moments in time where I’ve felt that I have made an impact and that has created a mutual sense of understanding and appreciation, however, these people are often kind of going through some crisis or transitional period in their life and seem to be looking for something to relate to or something to lean on emotionally. The average punter, I think, is not interested in this kind of experience.

CV: Is fan interaction an important part of the band’s inner culture?
Kollaps: Yes, I like Kollaps fans. They’re a varied bunch; truly diverse – from lawyers, business types, to anarchists and possible child murderers. The only time I’m dubious of a fan if they’re a very die hard industrial music fan and are interested in categorizing and this kind of thing. Personally, I am not such a big music fan and so I do not really know what records or record labels they are referencing…. I’m often expected to know about esoteric releases and such and find myself a bit dumbstruck when these conversations arise while I’m on tour and feeling a bit disheveled. 

CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
Kollaps: Well, I think there are stages here where when the work is respected and being discussed and there is always a line that can be crossed. I have developed lifelong friendships with some fans and others I have found to be completely mentally unfit not only to be a friend of mine but to be a member of society.

CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
Kollaps: Yes, in my experience this is absolutely true without question. Coming from Australia and now living in Europe, and after having performed across the continent over the last 3 year, I can tell you that the attitude is very different not only between Australia and Europe, but there are clear differences in attitude between countries within Europe.

Ultimately the major difference to me is how ingrained underground music is in modern culture, how supported this is by the community and the level of interest that can generate and nature a sustainable music community. The music that I make and come from is difficult music, more so than most genres of extreme metal for example, and I find that Eastern European countries are very friendly and understanding towards Kollaps.

CV: Do you feel that a band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
Kollaps: I could only speculate. I do not have much experience with American audiences but I often find the take that the United States has on industrial music to be fairly diluted and rock/EBM orientated; like it’s always struggled to stand on its own without relying on other genres as a crutch and so I’m not sure how I’d go with audiences there with the roots of Kollaps’ music being somewhat orientated to traditionally European industrial sound. In Europe, I think audiences have a higher patience threshold and are more tolerant and willing to see something unusual. Again, I’m not sure, it is a guess. We’ll have to do a follow up to this question after I’ve performed in the United States.   

CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
Kollaps: This is a great question. In my opinion, music is over-saturated because of digital technology in terms of the ease of which it can be made and released but also in the ease in which it is distributed. We’re seriously overexposed to a lot of garbage. 

CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?
Kollaps: Authenticity.

However, we should remember that some artists set trends that I’d consider to be negative, such as performing live to backing tracks. Karaoke is fun.

                             

CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
Kollaps: In the end I think these labels are worthless and make no impact on anything. Unless they’re mainstream genres, they really just seem to be descriptive terms that have no broader impact on anything.

CV: What can fans expect to see coming next from you?
Kollaps: We are releasing a new album entitled ‘Until The Day I Die’ that will be out on June 24 via UK label Cold Spring Records.

CV: Thanks again for taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
Kollaps: You’re welcome, thank you for having me. Much obliged.

Check out Kollaps at:

www.facebook.com/kollapsmusic

www.instagram.com/kollapsmusic


Pre-order ‘Until The Day I Die’ at www.coldspring.co.uk
 

 Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                         



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments