Interview with the Incredible Tim "Ripper" Owens



By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Tim! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: Is there ever an instance when you think to yourself that "Hell, this could all end at any moment”? If so, how do you get past it?
Tim “Ripper” Owens: YEP…hahaha…all the time. That’s why I stay busy…well I stay busy to pay the bills…hahaha.  I just try not to think about it and keep working. 

CV: Many facets can define an artist; their sound and style, their look or their attitude to name a few. What do you feel makes an artist reach that iconic persona?
TO: Well, have fun and be yourself! I can sing almost any style of music, so that’s a good thing for me but I am true to me and everyone else. 

CV: Do you think the term "iconic" often translates to an artist being considered great but passé in the eyes of the public?
TO: Yeah. It’s a crazy word…but when artists travel the world and aren’t easy to get to and they are bigger than life, that is what it is. 

CV: You are always working and involved in multiple projects. Is being busy the key? .....
TO: Like I said, if I wasn’t busy and in only one band I would need a 50 hour a week job to pay bills and then there would be no music. Haha!

CV: Are there specific things, like staying busy, an artist can do to stay current in an ever changing industry besides just following the trends?
TO: I just do what I want… I sing on all things from big to small and that’s what I love. 

CV: Do think an artist has the power to truly reinvent themselves or is it more of a "refined version" of their previous self reintroduced to another generation of potential fans?
TO: Well I think you can do that when you’re younger…a little harder in your 50's.  

CV: Steel Cartel Records has released three individual solo versions of The Three Tremors debut album that features each vocalist independently. The albums also include new artwork and packaging. Is there any concern that such a release could divide the band or is this more of a way to further connect to each singer’s respective audience one on one while further The Three Tremors brand?
TO: Oh No…it’s a great idea. I mean we all recorded the whole thing when we did it…and not to put out the solo versions…Haha.  I think it’s a brilliant idea.
CV: How would you describe each solo version compared to the collaborate effort of the three combined vocals on the group’s debut release?
TO: I think they flow a little better…that doesn’t mean they are better, but it doesn’t seem as choppy. The original version is so great and the solo versions are great. I really love how mine came out. And remember, we didn’t record them to make a solo CD, I might of added more stuff. LOL

CV: Tim, do you feel veteran bands and artists have a disadvantage, because of age, to newer, younger groups in regards to the ability to appeal to today’s audiences?
TO: Not really…I can tour and make a living and older bands have built in crowds.
CV: How would you define the current state of the music business and then compare that definition to what the business was like when you first joined Judas Priest in the 90’s?
TO: It’s definitely better now. It was in horrible shape in the mid to late 90s.  Way, way, way, way better now! 


CV: In your opinion, is the term "rock star" still relevant in today's music world…or is it more so just a relative term to the artist and their specific audience only
TO: Hard to have one with social media.  Mine where in magazines or on MTV…and yes, record and radio.  NOT all over the place.  YouTube helped ruin that. 

CV: Is being a "rock star" something worth aspiring to for young artists who need to concern themselves with building a career in music? Can it be more of a distraction that could get in the way of making good music?
TO: Aspire to be anything…you wanna be a rock star, I say go for it but get some schooling in as well. Hahaha 

CV: New bands and established artists alike have claimed that making a living with their music is becoming more and more difficult these days as both album sales and show attendance have decreased.  Do you see this as a passing trend of the times or more as a sign of the inevitable to come for artists everywhere? Is there hope?
TO: I agree. People are lazy and stream music! Years ago you went and got a magazine to see who was coming to town or what local bands where playing.  NOW people want the bands to personally invite them while the person is eating popcorn on their couch. 

CV: Many artists have made a conscious effort to not produce new material but continue to tour. Tim, is making new music and albums as essential for bands as it once was or is heavy touring enough for any act to keep things alive and kicking for their fans?
TO: I think so…I mean I put out 3 CDs last year! Hahaha You got to do it all, you gotta put it all under one umbrella.


CV: What's next for you? What can fans expect to see?
TO: All I can say is I’m gonna have a BIG Year, just you wait and see. Follow me on Instagram and Twitter and Facebook to see what’s up!

CV: Thank you again Tim for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers.
TO: It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success. Thank you very much. See you soon! 

Check out Tim at:






Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.













Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.

Comments