Interview with Former Montrose Vocalist Keith St John (Ronnie Montrose Remembered)



By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Keith! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: During your 13 year tenure with great Montrose, you co-penned many songs that were never actually released but were regularly included in a number of the band's performances. Why weren't those songs ever officially released?
Keith St John: Yes, Ronnie and I wrote a whole bunch of songs together early on in our relationship, and there are a number of factors contributing to the fact they haven’t been released yet. In those early years together there was simply just some sheer “Artist” procrastination as in “the stuff wasn’t ready yet.” In the sort of second “quarter” of our time we played some of those tunes live, trying them out and polishing them up while playing the early Montrose hits on tour. It all seemed pretty copacetic at the time!

Then Ronnie found out about his prostate cancer and it knocked him for a major loop!  He permanently put down the guitar and quit music, but my feeling was he’d be back…and lo and behold, a while did go by, but at some point he got re-inspired to come back out, shave the ZZ Top beard back off, and get back on a stage! (prostate intact) …Incidentally he always blamed me for inspiring him to come back! Anyways…during all these light/dark/grey times we did not address the music we had sitting somewhere in the archives that somewhere back along the way we had outlined some basic tracks for in the studio. When we finally started playing live again it was just that.  We were juggling players a bit from year to year and Ronnie talked once in a while about addressing those songs but it vaguely popped in and out of our discussions from time to time.  While Ronnie took his hiatus, I got involved (workin’ for a living) with Lynch Mob, Nazareth, Sweet, and my own band Burning Rain, so I was keeping busy and had my creativity kinda spread out and it just wasn’t my way to push Ronnie on the issue of the songs. I figured he’d let me know when he was ready to get back to it.
Then of course we know what happened and at that point the songs got “lost in space”, just the simple result of a long shockwave that hit all of our lives that were close to Ronnie.  I do have it in my mind to dig them up and get them out!!!  …I know he would dig that!

CV: Any chance some of those songs will get an official release some day or even be included on a commemorative CD available at a future Ronnie Montrose Remembered event?
KSJ: That would actually be a great project to be ready for the 2021 RMR event!  The timing might be perfect! OK I will look into it and get back to you!


CV: Ronnie Montrose Remembered is not only a way to honor a friend but is also a way to pay tribute to a Rock n Roll guitar great who undoubtedly influenced and inspired multiple generations of young guitar enthusiasts. How has Ronnie Montrose inspired and influenced you?
KSJ: The #1 thing Ronnie inspired in me is to always maintain my humanity and the humanity of everyone else around me whilst on my journey of playing music and entertaining and inspiring the other folks around me.  The #2 thing Ronnie inspired in me is how to get a killer f%*king guitar tone!

CV: When someone dear to us passes on, all we have left are the memories of the times we shared. Keith, what is it you most fondly remember about your time with Ronnie Montrose? Is there one memory that stands out more than any other for you?
KSJ: With some people, they can’t hide what they’re thinking cause their eyes, their body, and their whole aura show what they’re feeling.  Ronnie appeared like that to me. Many times on stage Ronnie’s gaze and his energy and his intention was to give me the “big brother” nod letting me know that what I had just done (on that stage on that moment) was worthy of the “big league” and the “real deal.”  For one standout…I suppose there’s a good one when we played our first show at great America in Northern Cali and it had been years since Ronnie took the old Montrose I & II songs out on tour and called the band Montrose again…and a whole bunch of old time fans as well as a bunch of bikers came out and were in the stands, and at the end of the first song they were chanting “Sammy Who?” in overwhelming acceptance.  Yeah that’s a fun one.

CV: In your opinion, what would you say was Ronnie's greatest contribution to Rock n Roll history?
KSJ: For me this one is multi-faceted…but suffice it to say that there have been many types and levels of musicians in the world playing Jazz, classical, Opera, Rock, Pop, etc. What the greatest Rock musicians bring to Rock are factors from the other more advanced forms such as better groove, better tone, better sense of timing, better intonation, fresher rhythms, better vibrato, more controlled technique.  In that sense, Ronnie had it all and more.  In his time, Ronnie helped mold a new sound for guitar that would be imitated and expanded on in the generations of guitar heroes to follow.  The great eight was ultimately the bible for any young and budding Rock guitar player at the time…if they were lucky enough to discover it.



CV: Was there one lesson Ronnie taught you that you will never forget…something that changed who you are or how you do things?
KSJ: This one is ironic because I saw Ronnie get wound up about certain things from time to time, but he is the one who showed me what calm energy is in the middle of a storm, and sometimes to this day, I do take a deep “Ronnie style” reset breath.

CV: How much time and what level of man power is required to put together such an extravagant event of star power and talent? After five years, is it a labor of love for you?
KSJ: For one, it’s the fans who love feeling the energy of these songs performed live and the players hitting the stage like kids in a candy store that keeps inspiring me to bring it back again and again.  I basically have to shut down my life for about 2 solid months to get this organized wearing too many hats to mention.  Whatever Ronnie was going through I feel for him and in my soul I know he did find himself some peace.  There’s something about singing and playing this music that takes over me and gets me to a place that heals, so I am grateful to be able do it regardless of all the work and hair pulling it takes to get there!


CV: The event will feature many notable artists and guests including George Lynch, Brad Gillis, Jack Russell and Carmine Appice...and the list goes on. Plus,That Metal Show's Eddie Trunk will be hosting. It's also rumored that a number of special, surprise appearances will also be on hand. Any hints or clues as to whom some of the surprise guests will be?
KSJ: I will be adding a very special member of “Page – Plant” from the nineties that will help us take one of the songs we play every year to a different plane. And well, there is a guy coming down to play…who plays Surfin’ USA 200 days a year LOL. There are folks callin’ every day! 

CV: Keith, what do you want guests to come away with after attending the event? Is there a message?
KSJ: I want to help them to ‘live their hearts’ by experiencing this music that they love performed passionately by players who get what Ronnie was all about and in their own way strive to knock it out of the park this Friday!

CV: If you had the opportunity to say one more thing to your friend Ronnie Montrose, what would that one thing be?
KSJ: 2 things:  It’s been great knowin’ ya.  Thank You.

CV: Thank you again Keith for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
KSJ: Thank you Cosmick View for the chat.  The pleasure was all mine, and I look forward to talking to you guys again down the road… peace!

Check out Keith and "Ronnie Montrose Remembered" at:
Official: 
www.ronniemontroseremembered.com 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RonnieMontroseRemembered/







Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.

















Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.


Comments