Interview with Singer Ronny Munroe (Munroe's Thunder, former Metal Church)



By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Ronny! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: Being the singer to a band is more than just good vocals, there is definitely so much more involved...especially when it comes to connecting to an audience. Does charisma play a major role and do more for a front person's persona then good vocals alone in your opinion?
RM: Yes I believe you have to have a bit of your own charisma and know how to connect with the audience, plus have the best possible vocals you can have and have fun up there on stage.

CV: Do you feel there is a difference between what defines a front person as to what defines a lead singer...or is it all just words and they are one in the same...or depends on the individual?
RM: I believe they are one in the same. To hit back on your first question, you have to have some charisma and know how to connect with the audience on and off the stage.


CV: What is it that Ronny Munroe brings to the table that separates you from other vocalist?

RM: Well, I bring experience, passion, aggression and humbleness. I don't know that it separates me so to speak but I do have my own unique voice as well. I don't really sound too close to any other vocalist out there. Some try to copy others but I don't. I'm just me.

CV: Ronny, you are back in the saddle and on the comeback trail doing what you do best. A Facebook post dated September 10th, reported that you were working on new material. Anything you can expand on or share with us? Will Munroe's Thunder return with an album in 2020?
RM: I have a few things going on actually. One I cannot mention as of yet but I am working with a new manager Blaine Wiggins and My Fish Records and Management and we are putting together a record as we speak and Munroe's Thunder is still working on the tracking but will see the light of day in 2020. MT has been a long time coming and it was my wife's brain child. So for her we will make sure it gets out there to the fans.

CV: Any chance fans can see you reunite with Trans-Siberian Orchestra in the near future?
RM: I never say never but for now that ship has sailed.



CV: Do you view the music business any differently now than you did before? Has time and experience made you more aware of what you want out of your career and those things you like to avoid?
RM: Yes it has. There is almost no industry out there now unless you are one of the bigger bands. You just have to stay positive and be cautious of what alleys you turn down.

CV: With so many newer bands forming, would you ever think to front a completely unknown band?
RM: I've been around a long time now and have done what I've done so I don't think so but again I never say never. There’s a lot of great young talent out there.

CV: Ronny, what would you consider to be the greatest change in recent years within the music industry, that's affected how you work as a vocalist/artist...good or bad?
RM: I don't think the industry has changed that much except by getting worse as far as people stealing your music. Don't get me wrong you still have the loyal fans who will support you but I know of a few younger people that have actually said that they don't think you should have to pay for music...of course they still live with there parents and have no responsibilities. Bands are even starting to tour in a different way now as well because of the climate in the industry. They will go out for three or four days and then travel back home for a few days instead of staying on the bus for three months straight. It's really tough being a "paid" musician these days and it's not for everybody.

CV: It's no secret that the music business of 30 years ago is long since gone and doesn't appear to be any closer to returning. Have such major changes to the business become more challenging to navigate or even find a decent course heading for having a musical career?
RM: For sure but it helps to have a good team surrounding you and making the right choices for you and your career. Which I believe strongly that I do have that now.

CV: With so many changes, some feel it's now somewhat more difficult for new and young artists to
find an audience and make a living. Has the same scenario happened to veteran performers as well? Are the effects being felt everywhere?
RM: Yes, I believe the effects are being felt by the young and older bands. Like I said before, the industry is not for the faint of heart. You just have to stay positive and do it the right way.

CV: Based on your experience Ronny, what can up and coming artists do right out of the gate to help themselves ensure some level of relevancy to both their time and their craft?
RM: Keep practicing, write good songs and surround yourself with good people that actually care about you and your craft.

CV: There are many singers who, for one reason or another, do not write their own material. As a singer, do you find it important, or even necessary, for a singer to write what they sing or at least have a hand in it to some degree? Does it matter or does not writing their own material rob a singer of their true voice in some way?
RM: I think it does rob a singer in some ways because when you write your own lyrics, they come from your heart and soul which translates better when you perform the songs. With that said you should also collaborate with others as well. I believe you should do whatever is best to write the best possible songs you can.

CV: Do you believe the soul of the song is the vocals?
RM: Not really, it's the song as a whole that is the soul.

CV: Does a song need to have meaningful lyrics or even tell a story to make it work...or is it really more about the beat, groove or hook that gives it connective prowess? Do fans have a preference in your opinion?
RM: Again I believe it's the song as a whole that makes it work or not and as far as the fans, they pay a lot of attention to the lyrics and music. Lyrically people look for words and stories to identify with.



CV: What's coming up next for you?
RM: Well, right now I am writing and recording demo's for the project I can't mention as of yet, then I will be headed to San Francisco to record and EP of that material. Then I will come back home for a few days and then fly out to Missouri to perform at a charity event to help feed children. All the while that’s going on I will be writing and working on my new project with Blaine and My Fish Records. So, I'm staying busy.

CV: Thank you again Ronny for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
RM: Thank you Mick for having me and I wish you and all your readers my best. Take care.
Check out Ronny at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ronnymunroefb/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/munroesthunder/



Be sure to catch Ronny at the 5th Annual Bowl for Ronnie Celebrity Bowling Tournament on November 5th. The annual event raises money for the Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout" Cancer Foundation in an effort to help fund research and find a cure.



Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.












Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.


Comments