Interview with Vinyl Closet Records Owner Jason McFarland



By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Jason! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.
Jason McFarland: Thanks Dude, happy to participate! When is COS coming back in to rock the house?

CV: We are happy to play anytime you guys want…
J

CV: Jason, being music fan and a record shop owner, you have such a unique viewpoint on the music industry from a man-on-the-street perspective. What do you see is bringing people into the store and what are they buying?
JM: Some younger kids are getting into it because of the “hip” factor and because their parents have turned them on to it. Some of my older or middle aged customers are coming in to try and recoup what they once had. Maybe recreate their collection and so on. I see them buying a lot of Rock, Punk and Metal. There are a lot of older Jazz collectors coming in as well.

CV: Have you seen a particular type or genre of music climb in popularity in recent years?
JM: In here we really focus on the classics, and I have been surprised by some younger kids digging Jazz…but for the most part, Rock and Punk are KING.

CV: Are classics like Zepplin, Sabbath, the Stones and the Beatles still big sellers even after all these years?
JM: YUP… in addition to The Doors, Floyd, Bowie and Kiss.


CV: Do you feel tribute bands have helped keep the spirit of such classic artists' music alive in the limelight where many other artists have fallen into obscurity?
JM: Not really, I don’t see that the tribute bands help it. I think that if it’s a good band they have staying power and generational popularity.

CV: Tell us a bit about Vinyl Closet Records. How did you come to turn your passion for vinyl collecting into a successful business?
JM: My whole life has been about music…writing it, playing it, and collecting it. It’s been my go to in good times…bad times and it was a dream that I always had to own a record store. I also have the most supportive wife on the planet and she encouraged me to go for it. We make a good team…she runs the behind the scenes and our social presence and I am the boots on the ground, so to speak. I thought I knew a lot about music before I started this business, but over the past 8 years my knowledge base has grown exponentially.

CV: Over the years, the Vinyl Closet has grown in and out of three locations since 2011. That fact alone demonstrates that the American dream is still very much alive. Do you see that trend continuing? Has there been a resurgence of the "mom and pop" business model?
JM: That’s a tough question to answer. Yes, to some degree I believe that there has been some resurgence…but the internet has also been the bane of Brick and Mortar businesses’ existence. Luckily, we are in a niche business and a destination shop for a lot of people…it’s about the experience of digging in the racks for treasure. There is a sensory experience that happens when you walk into a record store. There are hundreds of things to look at, listen to and appreciate. For some people it is a social opportunity; talking music, recalling a favorite concert etc.


CV: What do you believe is the true allure of vinyl? Is it a sound thing or more of nostalgia for most collectors?
JM: Both. There the “sound people” and then there are the “nostalgia people”. It can be a very personal thing. Of course, there is also the “Hipster” factor....

CV: For the newer, younger generation who has gone the way of purchasing vinyl as their preferred listening alternative, what do you feel is their reasoning for choosing vinyl over CDs?
JM: They have discovered the way that holding a piece of physical media can make you feel. They have listening parties…they enjoy the artwork of the album cover…the detail on the liner notes. We do still see a large volume of CD buyers, but I would say it is a 90/10 split.

CV: From your experience Jason, what has been one of the most sought after albums collectors look to add to their collection? And do you personally own it?
JM: There is a lot. Each genre has a “Holy Grail,” but an example would be – “Pet Sounds,” original MONO pressing by the Beach Boys…Beatles “Butcher” cover, Zombies “Odyssey and Oracle.” I do own a “Butcher” cover.

CV: There has been a lot of debate over what sounds better: original classic vinyl recordings versus re-mastered or digitally dubbed vinyl. Is there any truth in this argument?
JM: Yes! Original, analog tape is by far the best in my opinion. That is how I grew up listening to it. To me, it’s deeper.

How do I feel new vinyl compares to the classic vinyl releases? There is no point of comparison. A newer artist more than likely would not ever record on analog because of the cost associated. Analog cannot be as manipulated and altered to remove flaws as easily as digital. The releases of today are digital to vinyl as opposed to tape to vinyl and the sound quality is less.

CV: Also in recent years, cassette popularity has risen as Cassette Communities are spreading. Personally, I have always been a big fan of cassettes and always felt Heavy Metal sounded great on them... But do you feel this increase in popularity is a byproduct of the rise in vinyl interest or is there some credibility to people's claim about the high sound quality of cassettes?
JM: We do have a lot of Tape customers. We get a bunch of kids with older cars that have cassette players in them and they can afford cassettes more than vinyl. There are also a lot of cassette collectors that are looking at future value. Meaning, when Vinyl faded out before, cassette was on the rise. Maybe some people think that history will repeat itself. The sad thing is that some folks treat it as “what can I get for this in a few years” rather than the love of the music. We want to accommodate everyone’s preference.
CV: As a store owner, do you see Rock being dead?
JM: Hell no! It’s still my biggest seller.

CV: What's the one record you’re still searching for to include in your own personal collection?
JM: Over the years I really have curated the collection of my dreams…so I think I am in a good spot. BUT...someone could come in here and sell me a collection and I will find something that
excites me and I just have to have it.


CV: What's the one record you want to have in the shop?
JM: If I am being honest…ANYTHING that will sell fast. HAHA!

CV: Any big plans or upcoming events on the horizon for Vinyl Closet Records for 2019?
JM: Yes! TONS! That is really my wife Ang’s department, so I am going to pass it over to her for this.
Ang McFarland: Hey Mick! Thanks for spotlighting Jason and our shop! We have always enjoyed the relationship we have with COS and your in store appearances!

We have big 2019 plans ahead...
• Monthly LIVE in-store shows - all genres of music welcome! We want to spotlight the local talent in our area.
• Record Store Day 2019 is April 13th and we will have 8 bands, March giveaways and contests, free food/beer (with proper ID), we will debut our new coffee blend that day as well - we will be selling in store. We partnered with a local mom and pop coffee roaster called 447 Roasters (www.447roasters.com) PLUS tons of NEW TO STORE Vinyl Releases and of course the RSD titles that we will be lucky enough to get. This day is a celebration of our customers and music!
• Our Philanthropic campaign is launching in April as well. ‘VINYL CLOSET CARES” will be adopting a different charitable organization each month and a proceed of sales on certain items will be donated to the selected organization. April is Autism Awareness Month and because our youngest son is on the spectrum we will be kicking off with an Autism Charity.
• Tons of new VCR Merch will be available April as well!
• Were planning some pop up shops with other small businesses in the area as well. Be sure to follow us on all of our social media for updates and details! We are on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook


CV: Wow!  I am sure people are not gonna want to miss any of those events. Thank you again Jason, and Ang, for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
JM: Mick, the pleasure was all mine. Thanks Dude!


Check out Jason, Ang and Vinyl Closet Records at:
Official: https://www.vinylclosetrecords.com/
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/vinylclosetrecords/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/vinyl_closet
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vinylclosetrecords/





Like The Cosmic View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




        


Want to see your logo here? contact The Cosmick View for details.



Comments