Interview with Drummer Mike Sabatini of Attacker



 

By Mad T

 

 

 

 

 

The Cosmick View: Welcome!
Mike Sabatini: Hello!

CV: Tell us about the new album that came out this year. What was the writing process like for the band? Were you trying to do thing differently on this album than your previous releases?
MS: Well, it was kind of a slow process, especially with COVID slowing everything down. I think we had maybe one or two songs before the pandemic hit. When we took that break and then came back, everyone had gotten a bit lazy—not just us, but people in general. Those who didn’t have to work or who stopped playing for a while found it hard to get motivated again. We had the same three songs for like a year and a half after COVID until we finally started rolling and writing again.

The process was slower than with past albums, but when it comes to the writing itself, it's pretty spontaneous. There wasn’t any deliberate effort to write something heavier or anything like that. It’s just about what comes naturally. Everyone in the band contributes; someone might write the main structure of a song, but when we start rehearsing, everyone chimes in with ideas. We might shorten or lengthen parts, take something out, or add something new. In the end, what comes out is just what we wrote at the time without much forethought or planning.

CV: Sounds like it was a very organic way of writing.
MS: Yeah, absolutely. I think the worst thing you can do is try to plan something too much. Music is supposed to be organic; it's meant to flow naturally. You're not supposed to sit there and script out, "I'm going to write a heavy song." You just write the songs and whatever comes out, comes out. That's my opinion.

CV: Along with this album and some previous releases, you had a behind-the-scenes role of being in charge of recording and mixing. How did you balance those responsibilities with your musical ones throughout the writing and recording processes?
MS: Well, to tell you the truth, I love recording. I've actually had a couple of different studios over the years, doing it for a while and then stopping, probably since around 1991. I enjoy recording, whether it's with my own band or other bands, just as much as being in a band and doing what we do.

The hardest thing for me is that with my own band, I tend to be more critical. I often wonder if I'm too involved in the project. When I'm working with another band that I'm not a part of, I can see it from an outsider's perspective, which is different from being in the band and being too close to it. That can sometimes be difficult. With other bands, it's fine, but with my own band, I make sure everyone hears everything. I ask them what they think, whether they like it, and if I'm getting too crazy or picky about things I shouldn't be. It's definitely tougher doing your own stuff than working on something for someone else.

CV: with that, do you feel you have the final say with the recording and mixing or is it more of a democratic approach with the band?
MS: Yeah, I think you're right about that. I'll mix it the way I hear it and then let everybody else listen. Sometimes they'll pick up on something I missed, like suggesting, "Hey, maybe this could be a little louder" or "How about adding an effect on that part?" It's definitely a democratic process. Even though nobody else in the band really knows much about recording, I'll get it to where I think it's right, and then everyone will chime in with ideas.

For instance, there were a couple of vocal effects Bobby came up with. He'd say, "Maybe I want to put a low-pitched voice on this part because it's supposed to sound evil" or "For this song, I want it to sound like it's coming out of a little radio speaker." The people who write the stuff sometimes have an idea in their heads of what they want it to sound like, and then I'll go back and make that a reality.

CV: With the album, does the band have any plans of adding more dates to support it or do you have something else in mind?
MS: It's kind of weird – we've never really played a lot of shows. Some bands, like Peter's, still go out and tour extensively, but a lot of it comes down to jobs and being able to take the time off.

Right now, we're doing what we can. We headlined the warm-up night of the Keep It True Fest in Germany and had our record release show in Jersey on June 22nd. We've got a show coming up in Delaware in October. But we used to do more, like traveling to different states to play, but it can be tough with the long drives and everyone wanting to get back home quickly for other commitments. So, we don't play a lot. Realistically, we probably won't be doing a lot of touring or shows, unfortunately. It's just the nature of people's lives at this point. We're happy doing it the way we do—playing a handful of shows and putting out new albums. For us, that's enough. We don't need to do it 24/7, seven days a week. Maybe thirty-five years ago, but not now.

CV: How have you seen the fans receive the album thus far?
MS: It's been great so far. Initially, when we first put the album out, we got two reviews from the same website, and both of them hated it. They didn't like the album, but they also mentioned they hadn't paid attention to Attacker since around 2006. I got the vibe that they used to be friends with our old singer Bob Mitchell, and when he left the band, they stopped paying attention to our music. That said something to me. But after those reviews, the album has been really well received, and everybody loves it.

I always tell the guys in the band not to get upset about bad reviews. As musicians, we're probably harder on music than fans are. I tell them, if I were a reviewer, I'd probably hate most things because I grew up with the original classic metal, and that's what I listen to a lot. While I appreciate the new bands doing old-school metal, I feel like they need to create something new instead of just repeating what's already been done. If I were reviewing music, I probably wouldn't be as kind as others, so I understand where the critics are coming from.

Our first album, Battle at Helms Deep, put us on the map when we were on Metal Blade and Roadrunner in Europe. People have a lot of nostalgia for that album and The Second Coming, and they want everything to sound like that. But you can't come back after a long break and be exactly the same. We've all changed, and our musical influences have expanded.

We've been pretty lucky with all our albums. It's interesting that, even though our new album is stylistically different from Battle at Helms Deep, people still say it sounds like Attacker. I think that's because of the consistency in my drumming style and the style of vocalists we've had, whether it was Bob Mitchell, John Leone from The Second Coming, or Bobby Lucas. The new album might not have much in common with Battle at Helms Deep, except maybe the song "The Mighty Have Fallen," which has an old-school vibe. So, there you have it, that's my rant.

CV: As a drummer, how have you seen metal drumming change and evolve since you began in the 1980s?
MS: Well, everything changes and evolves over time. We started out in the early '80s, around the same time Metallica was emerging. We were more into the old-school sound, like Maiden, Priest, Scorpions, and Accept, while Metallica brought in a heavier direction. What's interesting is that back then, bands like Metallica and Slayer were considered extreme. But compared to today's extreme metal, they almost seem like hair metal – they were heavy but still had melody. A lot of today's heavier stuff is just heavy for the sake of being heavy.

If you look at music from the '50s to the '70s, or even to the '80s, you see a major progression. But from the '80s to now, music hasn't evolved as drastically. Even though the span from the '80s to now is 40 years – longer than from the '50s to the '80s, which is thirty years – there's been less change. Sure, we've had genres like extreme metal and nu-metal, but overall, music has been less transformative.

For me, coming from that era, I tend to favor the older stuff, and that's probably due to nostalgia. People today will likely have the same attachment to current music as I do to the music from back then. It's just the nature of things.

CV: You bring up more extreme metal, have you felt compelled to change or learn more of the “modern” style of drumming as the years gone on or do you feel that your style of drumming is perfect for what you need at this point in time?
MS: Yeah, you know, my drumming is my drumming. I watch a lot of videos, and you see those guys doing super-fast double bass with that swivel foot technique. I tried it, but I just can't do it. Maybe if I spent a lot of time on it, I could, but I think the people who can do that started by watching drummers who do it and learned it early on. It's like the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." I've been playing for over forty years, and drastically changing my style now would be tough.

But I'm happy with what I do. I can play thrash stuff, no problem, but super-fast double bass has never been my thing. I play within my own range and stick to what I'm comfortable with. I often tell my band and other bands I record that it's important to play within your comfort zone.

After every show, we always think we could have been better. We never come off stage thinking we were perfect; we know where we can improve. I tell people to play within their abilities and not try to exceed them. If you want to add something new to your playing, practice it a lot before bringing it to a live setting. As long as you play to your strengths and avoid your weaknesses, people will see you as you should be seen, based on your skill level.

CV: The metal scene has changed since the 1980s. Are there aspects that you miss and wish would come back from that time period?
MS: I'd say one of the main issues today is the lack of venues. Back in the '80s, you could play five or six nights a week because there were so many clubs. Nowadays, we don't have enough places to play. I also miss the fact that recording has become so accessible. Just because you can record at home doesn't mean you should. There's so much content out there now that great music often gets lost.

In the '80s, bands still had to go to recording studios and pay for studio time. The better bands were getting signed to indie labels and getting noticed. When people say music was better in the '70s and '80s, I think it's partly because only the cream of the crop got signed and promoted. The bands that weren't good enough didn't get to put out albums. Labels back then believed in artists and gave them time to develop. For instance, Kansas took four albums to break through, but the label stuck with them. Today, if a record doesn't do well right away; labels drop the band as a business expense without giving them a chance to develop.

Another thing is the issue of digital-only releases. To me, it's like not releasing it at all. Pop fans might buy single songs, but metal has always been about the full package – the album cover, the lyrics, the physical product. I miss the days of going to record stores, buying albums because of their covers, and discovering new bands that way. Unfortunately, those days are over.

CV: That puts some things into perspective.
MS: You're welcome. Sometimes I think I might be too opinionated on that stuff, but I'd rather be honest with people. I prefer to do interviews where I say what I really think instead of just saying what people want to hear.

CV: Being the sole original member of Attacker, what continues to inspire or motivate you to keep Attacker going?
MS: It's a simple answer: I love heavy metal music. To me, heavy metal has always been a source of happiness. Some people view metal as strange or aberrant compared to pop music, but for me, it’s always been about joy, not aggression. I have a deep appreciation for metal from the '80s, as it was emerging alongside our own rise in the old-school scene.

As for Attacker, I started the band in 1983. There’s definitely a nostalgic element, but I've always loved what we did and felt we consistently produced quality work. What really struck me was our first trip to Europe in 2004 for the Keep It True Festival. I was nervous, unsure if people would remember us. To my surprise, the reaction was the complete opposite. People shared how our music had a profound impact on them, especially those who had to smuggle albums into communist countries like East Germany and Poland.

Finding out that something we thought was minor had such significance was incredibly special. Many of the people we met in 2004 have become friends, and seeing them at festivals across Europe is one of the highlights of touring. I prefer to view our fans as friends because it feels more genuine. I believe that viewing fans as friends fosters a more meaningful connection and avoids any sense of superiority.

Ultimately, playing metal and interacting with these amazing people has been incredibly rewarding. While we’re not a professional band and don’t do this for a living, it’s our hobby. Some people play golf; we play metal.

CV: It’s amazing how indirectly you had in post-communist countries, even during the Iron Curtain. That’s something that most people overlook, especially in the 1980s.
MS: Well, we really don’t know what it’s like to live under those conditions. We’ve always had the freedom to do what we want and listen to whatever we choose. Meeting people who have experienced life under oppressive regimes really opens your eyes. It makes you realize how different their struggles are from anything we might face here. We may think we have our own challenges, but they pale in comparison to living under such oppressive environments.

CV: Speaking about impact, what do you feel is Attacker’s legacy at this point?
MS: That’s a tough question. If anything, I’d say our legacy is staying true to who we are. Everything we’ve written has come out naturally, without trying to follow trends. We never felt the need to change just because things got heavier in the 80s. Most of our material was written by our original bassist, Lou Ciarlo, straight from the heart. We weren’t trying to be anything other than ourselves. Some bands from that era tried to adapt or blend in with what was popular at the time, but our legacy is that we remained authentic and true to our own sound.

CV: What is next for Attacker?
MS: Like I mentioned, we’ll probably pick up a few shows here and there, and we’re working on some festival plans for next year. However, I can’t reveal much yet since some details haven’t been announced. For now, we’ve taken the rest of the summer off because we don’t have any shows lined up. Instead of having everyone come to rehearsals during the week, we decided to give everyone a break.

Interestingly, we used to rehearse on Sunday mornings at 10:00 AM, which might seem odd to most people. Since everyone lives a bit farther from our studio, coming in during rush hour or in the evenings would be a hassle. Sunday mornings are quieter, and after a long week, it’s easier for us to get together. With summer here and nothing happening until fall, we figured it was a good time for everyone to enjoy their break. We’ll reconvene after Labor Day, start working on new songs, and begin planning for the next album.

Rehearsing without new material can get pretty monotonous. Rehearsing the same songs week after week can be dull, so it’s important to keep the creative process going by working on new stuff and mixing in some older songs. That way, we stay motivated and continue moving forward.

CV: Final question; why do you think Power Metal never really peaked here in popularity in the United States as it did in Europe?
MS: That's an interesting question. The term "power metal" can be quite different depending on where you are. In Europe, a lot of power metal bands are known for their heavy use of keyboards. To me, that’s not really power metal; it feels more like traditional heavy metal with a cinematic touch. Power metal, in my view, should be aggressive and punch you in the face. The keyboard-heavy stuff feels more like movie soundtrack music rather than powerful metal.

As for Attacker, we’ve always stayed true to our style. We didn’t try to follow trends or change our sound just because metal evolved in the '80s. By the time we released Battle at Helm’s Deep, Metallica had already put out Ride the Lightning, and they were working on "Master of Puppets." We kind of got overshadowed by the rise of thrash, which is why we might not have gained as much traction in the U.S.

In contrast, European countries, especially non-English-speaking ones, seem to appreciate and hold onto their musical tastes. They don’t just move on to the next trend as quickly as English-speaking countries do. I’ve noticed that while old-school metal may not draw huge crowds in places like England, Australia, or Canada, it still has a solid audience in Europe.

It’s funny how people often feel the need to abandon what they liked in their youth as they get older. I’m sixty-one, and I still enjoy heavy metal – why should that change just because I’m not in my twenties anymore? Some people might say that as you get older, you should dress or act differently, but I don’t buy into that. To me, being an adult is about responsibility, not conforming to outdated stereotypes of what adults should be like. Why should our musical tastes or style change just because we get older… you know what I mean?

CV: Thank you for that in-depth answer. Do you have anything else you would like to add before we close up?
MS: There's something I want to mention about the metal scene today. Back in the day, musicians were seen as rebels. Now it seems like many are aligning more with mainstream or government views, rather than challenging the status quo. I feel like musicians have lost their edge and are becoming too compliant, doing what they're told without thinking for themselves.

I wish people would think for themselves and respect differing opinions. Just because someone disagrees with your ideology doesn’t make them wrong or inferior. I saw a post today from someone I know, and I completely disagree with it. Shoving your beliefs down someone’s throat doesn’t make them right; it’s just your opinion. Respect everyone’s right to have their own beliefs.

I’ve always been about live and let live, but when people start telling me how I should think, that’s when I have a problem. If you want to be who you want to be, that’s fine, but keep it within your circle and don’t push it on everyone else. I believe in respecting everyone and letting people live their own lives without interference.

I’m disappointed in how some people are now using their ideologies to dictate what others should believe or do. It’s frustrating when people try to impose their views on everyone else, and it seems like nowadays, if you say something that's not politically correct, you risk being canceled. At this point in my life, I’m going to say what I want. If people don’t like it, that’s their choice. I am who I am, and everyone else is who they are. If I can accept you for who you are, then you should be able to accept me for who I am. No big deal.

CV: Thank you for joining us today!
MS: Thanks for having me!

 

Check out Attacker at:

Bandcamp: https://attacker1.bandcamp.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AttackerBand

www.cruzdelsurmusic.com


 


About Mad T

Drummer to the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of SanctuaryMad T has always had a knack for finding out what the word on the street is. With recently joining the Cosmick KrewMad T is refining his knack into a skill.





The Cosmick View

Where the stars always shine bright
www.thecosmickview.com 
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
                           Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
                                           www.pamelaaloia.com



    
                        
                                              The Cosmick Voice
                                    Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
                                  www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




                                             March Baby Media
                                     Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                      www.marchbabymedia.com
                                                         





                        Martial Arts of Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
                               "a Martial Arts History Chronicle"
                                    www.martialarthistory.com



Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.

 

Comments