Interview with Artist Torie Jock


By Mick Michaels



The Cosmick View: Hello, and welcome to The Cosmick View/MBM Ten Pounder! Thanks for taking some time to chat with us!
Torie Jock: I am excited to be here! Thank you for having me!


CV: Describe your definition of the band’s sound and style and how does that definition uniquely describe the music?
TJ: I’d say my style is 80s rock n roll meets punk. I think it makes my music unique because I am trying to bring back the music from the 80s and 90s, and that is something you don't hear a lot of today.


CV: Today, everyone talks about artist and audience connection. Is such a level of connection actually achievable for an artist and if so, how have you made the connection to your fans?
TJ: It is absolutely achievable! I think it is super important to connect with your audience. The music is only part of it, but when watching a show, you have to entertain and connect with people on an intimate level. That’s what makes people want to come see you live. If they only wanted to hear the music, they could stay home and listen to your albums. I always answer back to anyone who reaches out to me through a comment section online, or through a direct message. That is also super important when connecting.


CV: Is fan interaction an important part of the band’s inner culture?
TJ: It is for me! I love interacting with anyone who loves my music and comes to see me live.


CV: Can a band truly interact with its fans and still maintain a level of personal privacy without crossing the line and giving up their “personal space” in your opinion?
TJ: I think so. It is all about boundaries. You just have to know how to set them.


CV: Is music, and its value, viewed differently around the world in your opinion?  If so, what do you see as the biggest difference in such multiple views among various cultures?
TJ: I’m not sure actually. I wish I had been more, “around the world” to know the answer to that question. I hope to find out one day!


CV: Do you feel that a band that has an international appeal, will tend to connect more so to American audiences? Would they be more enticed or intrigued to see the band over indigenous acts because of the foreign flavor?
TJ: I do think that is a huge appeal today in music. Some of my early albums were listened to a lot in the UK and that really surprised me when I found that out.


CV: Has modern-day digital technology made everyone an artist on some level in your opinion? Have the actual lines of what really is an artist been blurred?
TJ: I definitely think the lines have been blurred and continue to be. Technology has made certain things easier, but that isn’t always a positive thing. If everyone was considered an artist, then is anyone really an artist? We can’t all be the same, or the world would be so boring.


CV: How would you describe the difference between an artist who follows trends and one who sets them?

TJ: In life, there are followers and leaders. The music business has both, just like everything else in life. I can see why some artists want to follow the trends. They probably assume they will automatically be successful if they do what other successful artists have already done. But I try to shy away from following anything or anyone. I’ve always had my own agenda and try to be as unique as I can be in all aspects of my life.


CV: Has music overall been splintered into too many sub-genres in an effort to appease fan tastes in your opinion? And has such fan appeasements, in actuality, weakened music’s impact as a whole by dividing audiences?
TJ: Absolutely. There is hardly any “edge” in music today. There seems to be a box that the “popular” music today has to fit into in order to be popular. Which brings me back to life being boring if everything and everyone were the same. It’s unfortunate that the majority of today’s music sounds the same.


CV: What can fans except to see coming next from you?
TJ: I just released my new album, Damaged Goods. The album dropped on November 5th and was co-written by me and my manager, Eric Gynan, from Leaving Eden. The album was signed by Dark Star Records/Sony/Universal Worldwide Distribution! I also have a new music video in the works for one of the songs off of the album!


CV: Thanks again for Torie taking some time and talking. It is greatly appreciated.
TJ: Thank you so much for having me!



Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

 
The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.thecosmickvoice.com 
www.anchor.fm/the-cosmick-voice



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, show host, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




Pamela Aloia: Author, Energy Healer, Teacher
Spiritual Counseling and Sessions Available
www.pamelaaloia.com





The Cosmick Voice
Music, Talk & Nothing But Business
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickVoice




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions
                                                        


Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates. 

Comments