Interview with Elana Justin of Motive Black


Photo by Rob Berezowski


By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Elana! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.

CV: How different was the New York music scene on the lower East side compared to the music scene on LA's legendary Sunset Strip? Was it a culture shock to some degree?
Elana Justin: I felt really embraced by the scene in Los Angeles when I moved here. I didn’t know a lot of people so I started doing these jams at the Viper room. I met so many talented musicians really quickly. There is so much happening in Los Angeles - it was really amazing to find a group of people to relate to right away. 

CV: "Broken" is the first single from Motive Black’s upcoming debut EP.  Can you tell us a little about the single...does the song parallel particular events in your own life?
EJ: Broken’ is about pushing through fear, and taking risks in order to fully experience life. The song parallels a couple of events in my life. ‘Broken’ was written when I was just starting over in LA and beginning a new relationship, so I had a lot to work with.  

CV: What are you hoping listeners come away with after hearing “Broken?” Is there a message you want to convey?
EJ: I want people not be fearful of change. I put up a lot of walls for a while and it was a struggle to break them down, but the risk was worth the reward. Growth is scary, but just because something is scary doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. 

CV: Elana, do you consider working from only personal experiences to be the best way to write meaningful and powerful songs to connect with listeners?
EJ: I think drawing from experience gives the lyric legs to stand on. When something comes from a real place it almost writes itself. People want to connect - so I think songs from experience really resonate with listeners. 

CV: Would superficial songwriting ever be an option or would it be more of a contradiction to your artistic nature?
EJ: It wouldn’t be a contradiction.  Everything I that I write is emotion or experience driven, but sometimes a cool riff inspires lyrics that come out of nowhere and you work backwards to find the truth in them. It doesn’t always work - but there isn’t just one recipe I use. Other times I have something very specific that I want to say or reference and then I work with that to express what I am trying to get across.

CV: To be a music artist, or an artist of any kind for that matter, do you feel one must innately be a survivor by nature to navigate their way through the industry, especially in the current climate?
EJ: I think you just can’t give up, and be willing to persevere when times are tough. There are so many obstacles that get in your way and if you get discouraged too easily - this probably isn’t for you. So yes, I do think you need to be a bit of a survivor. 

CV: How has the COVID pandemic affected the progress on Motive Black’s upcoming EP?
EJ: COVID has definitely slowed us down. We are prepping to release our 2nd single in the next couple months, which we are excited about. 

CV: Elana, how has the band stayed positive and productive during this global crisis amidst venues being closed and shows and tours being canceled? 
EJ: We just focus on what will happen after this is all over, and we’re excited to play these songs live again. We are proud of the EP we’ve recorded and we know at some point we will be able to share it with the world. Everyone is in the same position right now…  So there is solidarity in that. We have been working on some new material and trying to keep up morale.
 
Photo by Rob Berezowski


CV: Has the band taken to social media like many others to connect with fans?
EJ: We have some new content in the works to share via socials.  I’ve never been big into social media - which has been a huge adjustment as it’s going to play a big part in the way we connect to our fans and share our music for the foreseeable future, but we are definitely up for the challenge. It has been awesome to see how bands are staying connected and coming up with new ways to be creative during this time of isolation.  We’re doing our best to stay active and keep fans engaged.

CV: Do you feel we will see a new music industry model arise once the pandemic passes, one that has artists receiving an equal share in both rights and revenue for their time and efforts?
EJ: I think a lot of things will have to change because of COVID-19. I hope the music Industry and music fans take into account the amount of effort artists are putting into staying close to their craft, and the creative ways they are coming up with sharing themselves and their music directly with fans.   I believe the more we can connect directly with our fans, the better chance we have not only to survive – but to thrive, long term.  Having loyal fans who are really into what we do – and are directly connected to us – the better chance we have to remain viable long term, no matter what the industry circumstances are.

CV: What's next for Motive Black? What's coming for the band post COVID?
EJ: We are waiting to see what the new normal will be as far as touring goes. We can’t wait to get to the point where we can play and connect with our listeners in person, as safely as possible.

CV: Thank you again Elana for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.

Check out Motive Black at:
Official Website: http://www.motiveblack.com





Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




http://vagabondentgroup.com/




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions

www.marchbabymedia.com
                                                 





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.



Comments