Interview with the Iron Maidens Guitarist Nikki Stringfield



By Mick Michaels
COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Nikki! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.
Nikki Stringfield: Thanks for having me! 
CV: How do you describe the level of popularity the Iron Maidens have experienced and achieved over the years and moreso recently? Was it something that you ever thought possible or even expected when you joined the group in 2015? 
NS: I’m honestly still in awe every time I look at our tour schedule and see all of the amazing places we get to visit and play. Before I joined the band I had never left the country, and now I’m visiting several new countries a year! I had originally started as a sub guitarist and I was in my own original band at the time, so I didn’t really have any expectations. I had just moved to Los Angeles and everything was new and exciting. I never dreamed that we’d be touring as much as we are today and I’m so thankful for it! It definitely helps that we’re paying tribute to one of the best and most popular metal bands of all time… I think that says it all!  


CV: Aside from the accolades and notoriety, has the band’s success affected you personally in other ways that you did not expect?
NS: Not that I can really think of… besides getting to travel and see the world, of course. 

CV: Actors have been known to get lost in their roles, often taking the character they portray home with them. Has this ever been an issue for you? How do you keep your own identity while regularly playing the musical role of someone else and their songs? 
NS: No, I don’t think I can say that’s been an issue. Of course I try my best to really bring Dave Murray’s style to life and do him justice, but I also bring some of my own style and self into it. Mine is a bit different and it’s not something that I can take away from my playing. When I’m home I work on my own music as well as play in different bands, but I always stay true to myself no matter what. 

CV: Your guitar playing has been described as electrifying and blazing. How would you define your guitar playing style compared to the style of your "
Davina Murray" stage persona? Is there a playing balance you find on stage while working with the Maidens or is it more of a blending of what is the Iron Maiden style and what is essentially you?
NS: I grew up listening to a lot of different genres of rock/metal…I was influenced by Maiden, Megadeth, Nirvana, Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera to name a few. I’d say Dave Murray’s style is a bit more bluesy and more fluid than mine with his incredible use of legato/hammer-ons/pull-offs…in my own style I love more articulate phrasing and arpeggios as well as drop tunings and an overall heavier sound. When you hear a Murray solo you can instantly identify it, it’s so unique and hard to emulate perfectly! When I’m onstage with the Maidens it’s definitely a blend of myself and Murray’s style.



CV: Success comes in many forms for an artist. But, undeniably, success opens doors to numerous opportunities, including traveling the world, endorsements and working with other artists. In addition to performing with the Iron Maidens, you are part of Lorraine Lewis' Femme Fatale as well as a touring member of Heaven Below. Is this close to what you could have imaged your career being when you first started out? Or did you see it going another way, especially with a degree in Radio/TV/Film??
NS: Getting my degree was, in my eyes, a stepping stone to move out to LA and get my music career started. It allowed me to move and intern at Warner Bros Music, get my job at Schecter, and make the connections I needed to join the Maidens and my original band, Before the Mourning. I knew I wanted to play music and the degree is still my back up, but I never imagined that I would have even made it this far...especially in such little time! 

CV: How would you define inspiration? Is it more than just a particular guitar player, style or sound…is it deeper than that…more organic? What do you find inspires you?
NS: I’d say it’s deeper than just music…inspiration also comes from what’s going on around me. Emotions, weather, travel, people, books, movies…it’s whatever moves me at the time. I’ve written two of my songs on my upcoming album while sitting on a plane about to take off. Sometimes I’m extremely inspired, sometimes I struggle to find it at all. But it always comes back in some form. 

CV: I have met lead singers who actually consider themselves guitar players first and guitar players who consider themselves singers. Do you see yourself as one over the other or is it a matter of mindset and they are one in the same for you?
NS: At this point in time I’m not sure. I’ve always loved singing and wanted to be a singer, but obviously guitar really took over and became the dominant thing for me. The two flow easily together for me; when I’d learn a song, I’d usually learn something that I could play and sing at the same time. I’m starting to feel like they’re more one in the same now.

CV: Tribute acts have definitely become the music industry's big draw as of late. Why do you think there has been such a surge in popularity in recent years? 
NS: I think there’s several different factors. Tribute acts are a fraction of the cost, and our favorite Metal gods are getting older and not touring as much. Tribute bands usually cover more material and play fan favorites as well as being able to play more often. 

CV: Does playing with a tribute act, like the Iron Maidens, have its perks over an all original project? Is there less stress involved with delivering the music knowing that the songs already have an audience?
NS: Yes and no. Of course having an audience that is so passionate makes it so awesome…everyone knows all the lyrics and it definitely makes it more fun when they’re having a blast! On the other hand, that means you can’t miss a note. I couldn’t imagine paying tribute to any other band honestly. Playing with an original project is rewarding in the fact that it is your own music and nothing can quite compare to that feeling. 

CV: How would you reply to someone who says tribute bands have made it harder for up and coming original bands to get noticed or even find an audience?
NS: Your music will speak for itself. People can like tribute bands and still enjoy and seek out original music. I don’t think they necessarily compete with each other. 

CV: Do you see yourself as a role model for young people, especially women, who want to pursue a career as a musician?
NS: Lately, we’ve been seeing so many young girls at our shows. I always ask them if they play any instruments, and usually the answer is yes! It’s so awesome to see more and more girls coming up and really showing that we can rock as hard as any guy. 

CV: Would you encourage others to pursue a career in music given how difficult the industry can be, and if so, what words of guidance would you offer them?
NS: I would never discourage anyone. I grew up as a shy girl from a small town in Texas. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, practice, and never lose your passion for playing. Communication and networking are key…and with the internet and social media, the possibilities are endless. 

CV: You are currently working on an original, debut, solo EP.  What can you tell us about the project and what can fans expect?
NS: It is done! It’s called “Harmonies for the Haunted” and has 5 songs… each song is a little different from the other. I really tried to focus more on song writing than anything. Some songs are more vocally driven and others are more focused on guitar. I played every instrument except for the drums; Jesse Billson handled the drums and produced/engineered the entire album. He really made it sound awesome and I couldn’t have done it without him! Patrick Kennison of Heaven Below/Lita Ford helped record and produce my vocals…he really helped take things to the next level! I’ve poured my heart and soul into this over the past year so I’m excited to finally release it! 

CV: Is doing solo material a solid way of presenting and defining who you are as an original artist; thus, separating yourself from your Iron Maiden tribute persona...your music, your way? 
NS: Definitely. These songs are who I am. It’s all my style and completely unique from Maiden or anything else I’ve been a part of. 

CV: Is the rush of having your own music released versus working with such a success tribute band similar or are there dramatic differences in the emotional payoff?
NS: Well, if all goes right, The Iron Maidens will also be releasing an album this year. It’s just in the mixing stages at the moment. It was so fun and a completely different experience getting to record with the girls in an awesome studio in Vegas verses doing everything on my own with my material. I’m super excited for both releases because I worked hard on both, but like I’ve said, nothing really compares to releasing your own music. It’s exciting and terrifying all at the same time because it’s all a huge unknown versus playing songs that are already loved. 

CV: Has a release date for the EP been set?
NS: Not yet... I just did the photo shoot for the album art and that is now in the works with an amazing artist. Once that’s done I’ll be able to set a date, hopefully very soon! 

CV: What's next for you?

NS: Right now I’m just focusing on touring with the Maidens and getting this album out! Heaven Below is also releasing a new cover album soon, called “Rest in Pieces.” I’ve got a few more projects in the works as well but I can’t really say anything about them just yet. 
CV: Thank you again Nikki for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
NS: Thanks so much! 



Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   



My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.












Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.



Comments

  1. Very good interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Nikki is one of my favourite femalie guitarists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading Mike! She is a fantastic guitarist agreed! All our best!

      Delete

Post a Comment