Interview with Drummer Bobby Rock (Lita Ford, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Nelson)

By Mick Michaels

COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Bobby! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.
Bobby Rock: My pleasure.

CV: Your career has sprouted many facets and has taken on many rich and diverse avenues which includes writer, animal and environmental activist, health guru and teacher; all in addition to being a world class drummer and recording artist. How do you find the time to balance everything and remain inspired and successful?
BR: Honestly, finding the time is what’s often the struggle. And as for balance, I had to let that concept go a long time ago! Truth is, any one of those pursuits can take over your life, on any given day, and you just have to roll with it. 
  
            
CV: Diversity has become a way for individuals to reinvent themselves and stay current. With your trek into different arenas, do you see this as a way to reinvent yourself or moreso as an extension of who you are and what you are passionate about?
BR: I see it as an extension of who I am and what I’m passionate about. That’s it. If someone perceives one of my pursuits as a “reinvention,” I guess that’s cool. But it’s nothing I would ever think about consciously or strategically.

CV: For me, one of the greatest comebacks in Rock n Roll has been that of Lita Ford. She is both iconic and symbolic of a time when Hard Rock and Heavy Metal reigned. How did you come to be part of her band?
BR: Through my old bandmate, Gunnar Nelson. She was in desperate need of a drummer to cover a show for her in less than a week and reached out to Gunnar for a recommendation. I was the name he gave her.

                    
CV: What’s it like working with Lita?
BR: A blast, actually. She’s extremely fun and easy to work with, and the band - which includes Marty O’Brien on bass and Patrick Kennison on guitar – is absolutely first-rate. We have a great time. Been doing the gig for about 6 1/2 years at this point.

CV:Bobby, speaking of iconic, your physique has always been something of a celebrity of its own. Has fitness and good health always been a top priority for you? When did you first realize health and fitness was going to be a way of life for you?
BR: Yes, it’s been a top priority since my early 20s. And I was hooked the first time a friend convinced me to visit the weight room. I noticed it helped my overall drumming conditioning right out of the gate, and it immediately became a long-term staple in my life. Add to that solid nutrition and a mindfulness/meditation practice, and you have a lifestyle philosophy that is second to none in my book.
CV: Your passion for fitness has lead you to become certified in nutrition and exercise as well as penning a series of blogs offering people guidance and sage advice from drumming techniques to exercise routines, food choices and spiritual connection. Has your personal success in these fields been amplified by the success of others whom you have helped?
BR: For sure, because any time you teach something and get that immediate feedback, it helps you to sort of refine and perfect your process… to figure out the simplest way to integrate a long-term lifestyle shift. And this, of course, is always the name of the game when someone is trying to improve their health.

CV: Is helping people something you were always drawn to?
BR: Sure. I think that’s the case for anyone who has that teaching gene. 

CV: Your new book, "The Boy Is Gonna Rock," is already an Amazon best seller. Congratulations on the book's success. Was writing an autobiography a venture you always knew that you would do? Had you been keeping a written account of your adventures the whole time in preparation of such a project?
BR: Well, not to split hairs here, but I consider that book a memoir, as opposed to an autobiography. The main difference, is that a memoir usually focuses on a particular event or period of your life, as opposed to your entire life. So yes, I have been chronicling my adventures for years in the form of a steady practice of journaling. But no, I insist that I’m still too young to be thinking about an autobiography!

CV: Like many fans, my introduction to Bobby Rock was back in the 80's during your tenure with the Vinnie Vincent Invasion. Tell us how you came to connect with the ex-Kiss guitarist?
BR: Through Dana Strum initially. He had just produced a band called “Sweet Savage” and I was friends with their singer, Joey C. Jones. When I asked Joey about any contacts he had in LA - boom - he gave me Strum’s number. From there, I was able to talk my way into an audition with the Invasion, since Strum was already dialed in as the bass player.

CV: There has been so much said over the years about Vinnie Vincent, a lot of it unflattering, sadly. Without a doubt he is an amazing guitar player and songwriter. What are some of the personal highlights you have with working with him?
BR: Most of the highlights for me took place during the Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden tours, when we were the openers. There was just something magical about those times... hitting all those arenas and riding the wave of a record that was doing pretty well, during one of the most robust times in rock. It was really unforgettable. Also, working on the second record was a memorable experience, as well. We had a lot of fun, and it was just a great time to be in the biz!

CV: For you, what was it like working with Robert Fleischman in comparison to Mark Slaughter? Was it a smooth transition?
BR: Robert and I didn’t have a chance to work much together. Things went south with him and Vinnie’s management shortly after the first record came out, but I always liked Robert. He was a seasoned veteran, even at that point, and carried himself in a very understated, yet professional, way. And his vocals were flawless! The transition to Mark Slaughter was surprisingly smooth, given the fucked-up timing of everything. Mark was young and hungry with all of that youthful energy pouring out of him, and a lot of fun to be around. His voice was bionic and raw, and he just got better and better as the tour progressed. And on a personal note, Mark and I bonded like brothers right out of the gate. We were the young warriors in the band. 

CV: Unfortunately, Chrysalis Records released Vincent from the band's contract, thus, essentially ending the Invasion's musical prospects in 1988. Since then, Vinnie has stated that the band should have never existed with that line up contrary to the band’s popularity and success. Do you feel those types of remarks on his behalf are valid?
BR: I’m sure they are valid to him. In my opinion, though, it’s hard to know for sure how much of his assessment is biased by the lens of 30 years of reflection versus how he was really feeling about things back then. We will probably never know for sure.

CV: Quickly following the Vinnie Vincent Invasion disbandment, you did time with both Nitro and the mega popular Nelson brothers. Years later you would even tour with Slaughter. Were you initially asked to be a part of Mark Slaughter and Dana Strum’s move to form Slaughter?
BR: Yes, but after all we had been through with the Invasion, I felt like I needed a fresh start. Plus, there were other things I wanted to pursue at that time. It was a tough decision, but Mark and Dana were very understanding about it.

CV: Many of us were surprised to see Vinnie Vincent, after so many years of seclusion, for a short lived return to the spotlight last year. Did you have any knowledge that Vinnie would be making a public reappearance or were you just as surprised as the rest of us?
BR: I was just as surprised as everyone else!

CV: Had the Vincent camp approached you at any point to be part of his now cancelled comeback shows? Would you consider the possibility to play with him again if approached?
BR: No, I was never contacted, but I’m sure it’s for the best. For whatever reason, it seems that a peaceful co-existence in the marketplace, minus any direct contact, has been the most natural way for all of us to proceed where Vinnie’s concerned. And by “all of us” I mean me, Mark, and Dana. Of course, I still remain close to Mark and Dana all these years later.

CV: Success comes in many forms and success begets more success. This is definitely true as one looks at your career. What is your take on the success you have achieved and is your success based on a particular personal philosophy that keeps you focused and on track? What has kept you succeeding?
BR: I appreciate you saying that… but really, success, as an endgame aspiration, is not something I find myself consciously pursuing. I just like to get up every day and engage my various processes - to train, practice, write... travel and do shows - and try to get better, try to create cool shit, try to perform at a consistently high level. That’s it. I don’t spend a lot of time preoccupied with the outcome itself. I just do my thing. And staying focused is pretty easy when you love what you do and tend to obsess over the minutia of process!
  
                
CV: What would you tell someone who is struggling to achieve some form of success or balance in their life; be it career, health and fitness or even just pursing their dreams?BR: Well… here again, I guess I have an unorthodox take on both success and balance and how they are typically defined, so I don’t really know if I would be qualified to advise someone on either subject. For me, if my work can support and sustain a lifestyle that’s centered around continuing to create more good work, then I feel successful… regardless of how popular culture might define success at any given time. So from that perspective, I guess I would say, focus on being the best version of yourself and doing your best work, and then try to align yourself with those affiliations and projects that are the best available match for your strengths. From there, success - in whatever form it might take - will have the best shot of showing up. As for balance, I think it’s an extremely overrated and even impractical concept… presuming you mean balance in terms of there being some sense of symmetry between the various compartments of your life. Truth is, at any given time during the year, you will likely be out-of-balance in one area of your life or another. I don’t think there’s any way around this, given how time-intensive pursuing anything truly worthwhile can be. That said, you might seek to balance out those periods of high activity with periods of rest, relaxation, and pursuing other interests so you don’t burn-out. But that’s different than trying to keep things neat and orderly year-round.

                      
CV: What's next for you?
BR: Oh, man… there’s always a stockpile of stuff I’m working on. In addition to my ongoing travels with Lita Ford, I’ve mainly been working on a soundtrack for my latest book, “The Boy Is Gonna Rock." It shares the same title, but it’s basically a musical exploration of the book that I describe as "an adventurous instrumental tribute to songs that inspired the story.” Super stoked about this one!
                
CV: Thank you again Bobby for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It has been an honor. I wish you all the best and continued success.
BR: Thanks much!

Check out Bobby at:


Like The Cosmic View on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView   


My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.










Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmic View for details and rates.

Comments