Interview with Sony Recording Artist Bob Dee




By Mick Michaels

COSMICK VIEW: Hello Bob! Welcome to the Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What do you see as being the biggest challenge for you as an artist with sustaining longevity in the music industry?
Bob Dee: Hi Cosmick View so great to be here. Thank you! The biggest challenge I had was touring overseas. My first tour of Japan, I had the challenge of getting my New York City band over to Japan, but with airline tickets, rooms, trains and travel expenses that were going to cost over 10 thousand dollars... I had to rethink touring, so I had the idea to use Japanese musicians... I reached out to my fans in Tokyo and asked who are the best musicians and biggest draw in Japan and they would give me names... I contacted Guitar player Tsutomu Fukui, drummer Satoshi Kamiegawa and Mark on bass. I just flew over with my guitar and it worked out so well! I do the same in Europe I have my band in Newcastle, Upon Tyne, in the UK, Ade, Norm and Paul... I ship my merch over and set up shop in countries around the world... It was a big challenge at first but I just repeat the same formula in every country.

CV: From your experience, what have you witnessed as the most significant change in music during the last 10 years?
BD: Great question... I see in the USA a big change in the rock arena genre... it seems like most sales are in hip-hop and pop here, but when I go overseas to Europe, Rock is alive and well... and Japan too! Most of my sales are overseas... I hope it will change but for now I am happy to fly around the world.

CV: What’s your approach to songwriting? Is there a “go to formula” you use or is it more of a spontaneous, off-the-cuff approach?
BD: Definitely a “go to formula”... I was signed as a staff writer to Famous music publishing. I signed a six-figure deal with them... I was taught as a pop/rock songwriter to use the formula: Intro/A/B/Chorus/A/B/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus. I use this formula on 90% of my songs, it seems to work well for me keep the singles to 3 minutes.

CV: Let’s talk about your signing with Sony Records. But first off, let me say congratulations! That is quite a spectacular achievement. What was your first reaction when you were given the news?
BD: Thank you! Yes... I am so excited, released my second album with AMG/ SONY. It’s an awesome story for all your readers that might inspire them... I was sending my songs and albums to Mark Berry, he has about 36 gold and platinum albums. For years we did a few deals overseas... he always said to me, “I’m not hearing it yet, but keep sending me your songs”... finally I had a real bad break-up, Heartbroken... I dug down deep and wrote the best songs of my life... I sent the song “Socially Awkward” to Mark Berry and he wrote back “This song is a hit, a rock anthem. I am signing you to AMG/ Universal Records!!” Then SONY picked up the full album... I am now on my second album... I am so excited to have the chance to have a second album with SONY and thankful for Mark Berry!

Photo by Brian Rademacher

CV: Does signing such a major deal affect how you write and compose new songs? Are there more pressures that come with the territory?
BD: Yes its funny you should say that ... the first album came to me, wrote the whole album, but after the massive success of “Socially Awkward” and a killer video, it was time to record the second album... I was having a tough time coming up with the songs, I demoed about 22 songs... but on the final session I had the studio booked at 1pm... I woke up early and just started writing the single “Fight” and it all came to me. I wrote it that morning and the rest is history as they say.

CV: What was it like working with producer Lou Giordano on Petro’s latest album “Killstar”? How did you come to work together?
BD: I was invited to a party at Lou’s house and we just hit it off, great guy! At the time I handed in songs from the album and I was told the mixes needed to sound better... so I called up Lou and he re-mixed the two singles “Fight” and “Breakdown,” he did an amazing job...

CV: How much input, if any, did Lou have on your songwriting for the album?
BD: Lou re-mixed the singles on the album and I look forward to working with him more in the future. Typically, I write all my songs and run them by Mark Berry or my engineer partner in the studio, Brian Bauers, who is a lot younger than me and keeps me current in my sounds and songs...he has been with me since the first album, Bullets and Bandaids. 

CV: Who are some of the artists who inspire you?
BD: My favorite guitar player of all time is Gary Moore, I love listening to him play... I just saw the new Queen movie and am totally inspired... made me proud to be a rocker my whole life... I remember as a kid trying to learn Brian May’s guitar parts and opening with “Tie Your Mother Down.” Makes me love my life, I am so happy and blessed to be a rocker!
CV: Do you have one album that is a tried and true, constant source of inspiration for you?
BD: It’s kind of crazy that I am a pop/rock songwriter but for inspiration and my favorite album, I go to the dark side, a band called HIM “Razorblade Romance,” I can listen to the album 24 hours a day, so cool!

CV: With Petro’s sound being compared heavily to that of Cheap Trick, how much influence has their music had on Petro’s style and direction? Do you see this similarity as a”by design” effort or more of an organic process on the part of the band’s songwriting?
BD: I think organically... it is built into me since I was a kid... I grew up with Cheap Trick, Kiss, Deep Purple, all the classic rock bands... I got to see Cheap Trick so many times and have several Cheap Trick guitar picks! I have always played a Les Paul through a Marshall... I have a Voodoo amps endorsement... I love my amp and sound...

CV: You were direct support for the mighty Chris Holmes, formerly of W.A.S.P., during his UK tour. That must have been a blast. Any stories to tell?
BD: Wow, yes what an awesome time playing with Chris Holmes... We were all backstage on our UK tour. I use UK musicians Ade Fisher, Norm Appleby and Paul AT Kinson for my UK touring band, so everyone was from the UK and in walks Chris Holmes and yells out ”Where is the guy from New York?” Hah, it was me! We all walked over and hung out with him taking photos, he is a great guy, he helped my guitar player Ade with his amp setup at sound check, they use a lot of the same gear... we had a blast he was real cool with us and I think my ears are still ringing!!

CV: With so many shows on the road and around the world for you, is there one special or significant memory that makes it all worthwhile?
BD: So many memories touring Japan meeting the fans at Tokyo Station, awesome feeling and my last UK tour we were playing a club in London and they bumped us to 1am in the morning, so we went out and walked around Soho, drank for hours and when we got back to the venue, the place was packed... it was during the London heat wave and we just got up onstage and kicked ass, we had fans rushing the stage grabbing on to my legs and fans jumping on the tables... we brought the crowd to a frenzy! Afterword I talked to the owner and he said “In all my years Mate, I have never seen anything like that!” Great feeling! 

CV: Is Rock still alive and kicking in your opinion?
BD: Yes rock is still alive! I have had more tours, sold more merch and CD’s than ever... so excited; it just keeps getting better and better! It’s a tricky balance... I am one of the lucky ones... I have been playing music since the ’80’s... I have an amazing fan base around the world; they follow me through the years and are totally supportive of everything I do... When I put out a new product or merch, it is sold! I have sold more merch the last two years than my whole career... the one thing I must say is I always go the extra mile with my products like “t-shirts”, I buy the best quality and hire the best artists so when a fan buys one of my products they are getting top quality, the same goes for my music artwork and videos... I always want to take care of my fans I send them set-lists guitar picks hand written notes in every package that goes out its the extra step that makes or breaks an artist.


CV: What’s next for Bob Dee with Petro?
BD: I can’t wait for next year! I want to play the West Coast. We are on fire, we have been kicking ass this year... we are ready! We are also booking a new UK tour for “Killstar” album, plus the major announcement... I am going to direct my new music video next year! I write all my own storylines and ideas, so it should be a smooth transition. I am working on financing my short film that I wrote and will direct... Exciting times, all a new adventure!

CV: Thank you again Bob for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success with all your projects.
BD: Thank you for taking the time for the interview; it’s been a pleasure talking with you! And thank you to all my fans around the word for their support… I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for them...

Check out Bob and Petro at:
www.bobdeewithpetro.com
Join us at The Cosmick View Facebook page at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView


Comments

  1. Great interview Bob!!! Definitely inspirational, and exciting you get to travel the world with your music. Glad we could make this happen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Alison for all your support 🤘👩‍🚀🤘

      Delete

Post a Comment