Interview with New Clue Vocalist Neil Whittington




by Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello Neil! Welcome to the Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What drives you to continue to create?
Neil Whittington: Up & Down & Back Around

Sure, we all have our bumps in life, but New Clue has been through the trenches. As formed in the very late 80’s, (and after about 7 years) all disbursed and went our separate ways. I almost died, when I slammed my motorcycle into a telephone pole back in 2000. With TBI, I had to learn to walk & talk (as well as sing) all over again. With the reformation of yesteryear’s "No Clue", the band found each other on Facebook in 2014. Then we rejoined into today’s "New Clue". The guys came back, full circle. The band credits my story and willingness to never give up on a dream, as fueling the fire and sparking the embers for pure passion and the love for music. Here is the reason that we live and what we have to give…

CV: Was music your first love? 
NW: Each individual in the band have different stories but I started on piano at the age of 4. I play it a little still but my childhood piano teacher (from the age of 4 until I was 13) died and I got all teary eyed when I would play after she died. So I picked up the guitar at 13. With that knowledge I can and have played bass guitar in 1 band in my past… but I turned out to be a vocalist - Front-Man! My knowledge & love for music has been with me throughout life. It’s my second nature.
                                           
CV: Would you say music has made you the person you are today?
NW: Yes.

CV: Could you see yourself doing something completely different other than music? If so, what would that be?
NW: Oh I have another career. I design submarines (http://gdeb.com/). We all have our “Day-Jobs” but the music is in our hearts & souls.

CV: Which artist has inspired you the most?
NW: I can’t give you A one artist. It’s all gelled in there. A little bit of this... a little bit of that but I guess Robert Plant’s style is my most appreciated!?

CV: Non artist…who has been your biggest influence?
NW: My Wife

CV: Was/Is your family supportive with your musical pursuits?
NW: Very

CV: What do you find inspires your music the most as a songwriter?
NW: Life… As things happen, that gives more to write about.

CV: What's your go to album for motivation? Why that album?
NW: “Mystic Winds”… It makes me just want to make more!


CV: Some of your favorite artists... past and present, who are they?
NW: Queensryche, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Accept etc. Nostalgic Metal!

CV: The one album you feel every Metalhead should own and why? 
NW: “Mystic Winds”… It goes without saying.

CV: What do you consider is a defining moment in Heavy Metal history and why is it significant… how did it impact the genre?
NW: The signing of Metallica & Megadeth. Hard Rock became Metal!

CV: Who would you like to work with if given the opportunity?
NW: AC/DC

CV: What do you feel are the top three things it takes to make it in the music business as an artist?
NW: Great music…Lots of money...Great Publicist.

CV: There has been a lot of remarks among established rockers these days regarding young, up and coming bands, that they don't stand a chance at making a career with music into today's industry... what do you think?  
NW: There are so many FREE ways to get music. You have to have at least 5 times the amount of people who want your music to get the maybe 1/5th of them that will pay to download it.

CV: As an artist, what do you feel are your strengths?
NW: Experience! The many years that I (Neil) have lived as an aspiring musician, have gained knowledge and focus to take advantage of the World of technology that is available to gain following.

CV: What do you think separates bands of today from bands of the past?
NW: The world of technology that is available.

CV: With so many iconic women eligible for induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of fame, such as Cher, Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon many among others, why do you think they are being overlooked?
NW: Bigotry!



CV: We hear so much negative commentary regarding today's overall music industry. What's your take on it? Is Rock really dead?
NW: I don’t listen to anything NEW. Actually I don’t really listen to any other bands anymore. I listen to the songs that Will (our guitarist) writes and work on writing lyrics to them. If I listen to any other bands, their songs are on the radio or it’s a live performance.

CV: What’s next for you?
NW: If God sees fit…STARDOM

CV: Thank you again Neil for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success with all your projects.


Check out Neil and New Clue at:
http://newclue.band/


Comments

Post a Comment