Interview With Malice Bassist RayMan James


By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello Rayman! Welcome to the Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What drives you to continue to create?
Rayman James: I like being creative.  Be it with music or cooking or anything I do, I enjoy making things.

CV: Was music your first love? 
RJ: No I would not say so I started playing rather late actually I mean I was always a fan of metal but sports were my first love I guess.

CV: Would you say music has made you the person you are today?
RJ: Of course… I mean everything we do plays a role in creating who we are and music has been a big part of my life.

CV: Could you see yourself doing something completely different other than music? If so, what would that be?
RJ: Acting would be fun.

CV: Which artist has inspired you the most?
RJ: For bands I would say Manowar.

CV: Non artist…who has been your biggest influence?
RJ: The Ultimate Warrior and Sly Stallone.

CV: Was/Is your family supportive with your musical pursuits?
RJ: Depends what you mean about supportive I mean I am a grown adult I kinda do whatever I want don’t need their approval. 


CV: What do you find inspires your music the most as a songwriter?
RJ: STEAK, I can’t think if I am hungry.

CV: What's your go to album for motivation? Why that album?
RJ: I don’t have one I mean just depends what I am listening to at the time really.  Manowar, Maiden and Hammerfall are all great though.

CV: Some of your favorite artists... past and present, who are they?
RJ: Manowar, Maiden, Hammerfall, Priest, Cage, Elvis.

CV: The one album you feel every Metalhead should own and why? 
RJ: MINE, because I want to be able to buy more steak.

CV: What do you consider is a defining moment in Heavy Metal history and why is it significant… how did it impact the genre?
RJ: There is a Lot of them.  Many bands did a lot of things to make metal what it is for the good and the bad. 

CV: Who would you like to work with if given the opportunity?
RJ: Iron Maiden

CV: What do you feel are the top three things it takes to make it in the music business as an artist?
RJ: Money, Dedication, and Money.  These days you have to support yourself.  Record Companies are throwing out deals to bands so yeah you gotta be ready to spend the money to support yourself and be dedicated to the band and the work.

CV: There has been a lot of remarks among established rockers these days regarding young, up and coming bands, that they don't stand a chance at making a career with music into today's industry... what do you think?  
RJ: I agree with them no one pays for music anymore, people don’t care about going to local shows and if they do they want it to be free.



CV: As an artist, what do you feel are your strengths?
RJ: I put on a great show, high energy, and writing songs people want to sing along with.

CV: What do you think separates bands of today from bands of the past?
RJ: Record Companies, STDs.

CV: With so many iconic women eligible for induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of fame, such as Cher, Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon many among others, why do you think they are being overlooked?
RJ: NO I don’t, I don’t care about the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame… they are inducting Rappers so it means nothing now.  It should just be the music hall of fame not the Rock and Roll hall of Fame.  Hall of Heavy Metal Heroes is what matters now that’s all. 



CV: We hear so much negative commentary regarding today's overall music industry. What's your take on it? Is Rock really dead?
RJ: In the sense that upcoming new bands are not getting the attention or exposure, record contracts or money they deserve, also that fans are getting lazy and don’t want to leave their house to discover new bands.  That venues and promoters don’t pay new bands because fans don’t come out and the venues can make more money off cover bands or DJs. 

CV: What’s next for you?
RJ: Trying to take over the world.

CV: Thank you again Rayman for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success with all your projects.

Check out Rayman and Malice at:


Comments