Interview with American Terror Vocalist Brad Cox (Grayson Manor)



By Mick Michaels

COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Brad! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Brad Cox: Thank you so much for thinking of me and having me do this interview.

CV: Having a band comprised of seasoned players, from various well-known acts like American Terror definitely has its perks...a level of establishment, professional musicianship and of course, name recognition. But is there a downside of any kind in your opinion?
BC: I have seen more of an upside than downside. Bringing each one into the band helped shaped a unique sound than I first had envisioned. The only downside would be that people might form an idea of what it is before listening or thinking it’s outdated, but I think curiosity gets them and gives it a chance and there mind is blown because it’s nothing they would have thought.

CV: Do you feel having such a high caliber lineup ensures the group's songwriting will also be high caliber?
BC: Well I do 95% of all the writing so, no... BUT they always put their feel and touches on the songs which make it unique and different from the demo that I presented to them.


 CV: American Terror has released their debut album, "Influencer."  Tell us a bit about it. What do you feel sets this album apart from other similar releases? Does the band's mixed style and sound of Punk and Metal give it an edge in your opinion?
BC: Well one thing that sets it apart is we weren’t aiming to sound like anything else or worry about radio hits. Hell, we didn’t care if people liked it. We just wanted a fun project with people we like. My record collection is bipolar and I think this band is also. Not afraid to try new things and take it different places.

CV: If you had to describe the album with one word or phrase, what would it be and why?
BC: I can’t and won’t describe it. Every day the record means something different to me and I don’t want to bait or pre-form anyone’s idea of what it is. I would rather other people listen and tell me what it is to them.

CV: With social distancing in full effect due to COVID-19 and no real end in sight, bands are pretty much dead in the water with regards to touring.  Do you see touring of any kind taking on a different level of importance, or lack thereof, once the "stay in place" ban is lifted? Or do you believe things will just go back to normal at some point?
BC: Honestly, I don’t know and don’t care. I’m not worried about the future. I live in the moment and take it as it comes. Surviving is about adapting.

CV: Do you have any concern that without having the ability to tour in support the album, immediately following its release, will be a detriment later on down the line once album interest begins to fade? Have any options been put into place to have the band do a series of live streaming events via social media?
BC: I am not worried about it at all. I know so many bands have held up the releases because of that, but to me, that is selfish. Right now people need new music and are sitting around bored and anxious. The best thing to do is let people listen and escape for a bit. I am not worried about a bottom dollar and selling units. Holding something back people want because you won’t make as much is greedy to me. If your album is exciting and mind blowing then people will come out in the future to support you. If you think it won’t have that effect, then go back and make a better record… I don’t see us doing live streams of shows because that is not the way to experience this band. I would rather people put headphones on, jump on a skateboard or jump in their car and crank that shit.



CV: Where do you see the music industry as a whole heading following the COVID pandemic...can it survive? Some feel things will be changing for the worst, becoming even harder for artists to make a living.  What are your thoughts?
BC: Again, live in the moment and adapt. We are adjusting to streaming and other things thrown at us that are different, but we are still doing it. Don’t sit around and worry. People will always need music and people will find a way to get their fix…like people do drugs. Music is a healthy drug. So maybe more DIY shows like the hardcore scene. For bigger bands, there is way too much money at stake for the labels…Live Nation and so forth, to the let it all die. Stranger things have happened, but I would be shocked.

CV: Does songwriting have to be personal to be meaningful or are hit songs more of a standard manufactured commodity of the music industry?
BC: No, you just have to be a damn good actor and salesman. Not saying that’s what people do… But look at all the Pop people and hell even bands like Bon Jovi, they are story tellers and damn good at it. You can write the most personal and heartfelt song in the world but if you don’t know how to deliver it, it means nothing. The pain and feelings have to come across in the voice and attitude. Words mean nothing if they aren’t heartfelt. Just like a bad apology. That’s why bands hire producers.

CV: Would you consider the world's current state as a needed wakeup call for people to put away their differences and embrace what unites us all as a human race rather than a divided people?
BC: Eh, I don’t know. I think every day there should be wake up calls to people. It’s sad people I think…people like to argue and like drama. Look at reality TV and Facebook. People lose friends all the time on social media arguing over the dumbest shit that neither one of them have a clue about. In a perfect world people’s differences are a good thing and can create positive changes… But as long as we have this “I’m right and fuck everyone else attitude” then we are all screwed.

CV: Does being a music artist, also mean one must innately be a survivor to overcome many of the challenges associated with the industry?
BC: 100%, it’s not for the weak. If you have a plan B, then go ahead and quit. Your only plan B should be making plan A work.



CV: What's next for American Terror? What can fan expect to come post COVID?
BC: We have half a record already done and recorded. I am finishing up writing for the second half. Who knows when it will come out, though? Since the COVID held up CD, Vinyl and Cassette pressing for us, that is what we are getting out next. Like I said before, I wasn’t going to hold up the release just to sell merch. If people love the record now, then they will love it in a few weeks, months or lifetime down the road and by physical product. CDs will be out first, then cassette release. We also are doing a limited edition transparent red vinyl that will be out in 3 to 4 months due to manufacturing.

CV: Thank you again Brad for spending some time talking and sharing with
our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success.
BC: Thank you and thanks to all the awesome readers and fans. I wouldn’t be here rambling my thoughts without you…  I want everyone to think positive and go find new bands putting out new music and start building that list of bad ass shows to go see when everything comes back… As long as people like you are listening, music won’t die. Please check us out on Instagram and say what’s up. Listen to the album on Spotify or whatever platform you use and play it loud!! Thanks again!!!


Check out American Terror at:
Official: http://americanterrorband.com/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/americanterrorband/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/americanterrorband/





Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.




http://vagabondentgroup.com/




March Baby Media
Publishing, PR and Promotions

www.marchbabymedia.com
                                                 





Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.


Comments