Interview with Guitar Powerhouse Ross the Boss




By Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello, Ross! Welcome to The Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
Ross the Boss: Thank you, Mick for the opportunity to answer these questions for The Cosmick View!

CV: The Samurai of Feudal Japan believed they were one with the sword; a master of their craft. As a master guitarist, do you have a similar mindset? Are you one with your instrument?
Ross: Well, I would say yes I am one with my instrument. But being is that the guitar still fights me. Whenever I think I've mastered it, I can say that I truly haven't. It always continues to fight me and makes me humble. I doubt the sword in a warrior's hand made him humble (laughs), but you never know with the Japanese…excellent question.

CV: The Samurai also believed the sword was the soul of the warrior. Does the music make you a warrior of a different kind…someone who fights a never ending battle to achieve the perfect arrangement of notes and melodies?
Ross: Yes, absolutely. My quest for music has gone on all my life and it's been an honor to play. In a way I am a warrior. In a way I have never stopped making music since 1975 professionally. It's a battle always to come up with the best songs…the hardest riffs…the best catchy hooks and arrangements. It is…the sword is the soul of the warrior and the guitar is the soul of a musician…absolutely for me, anyway


CV: Those individuals who have dedicated their lives to one specific thing often speak of how they see that one thing everywhere they are and in everything they do...part of their daily lives. How have you seen the aspects of guitar playing showing up into everyday life for you?
Ross: Well, it's not only that…I just wake up and I'm hearing music. I wake up and I am hearing chords and riffs and, you know, hearing my new stuff and examining it and mixing it up in my mind and thinking about my solos and thinking about what we just did on the record…which we're just coming off the recording of this record so it's just fresh. So every day it just doesn't leave me. As I said before, the guitar fights me (laughs). It truly does. But I'm willing; I can tell you that.

CV: Ross, the new album, "Born of Fire," packs a punch - exuding the album's namesake from start to finish.  Do you feel that working from demos, as you did for this record, lent itself to honing the songs more towards what you had envisioned for the album?
Ross: Yes..yes, it was much easier to do with the demos…it was much easier to arrange stuff and add and subtract from what we were doing. And I don't think I'd ever do it again differently.
I mean, it just worked out so wonderfully this time. You know, it was great as you can hear (laughs)…if you agree with me. It really helped us with the record, it really did. It brought us right up to the recording and right up to the mixing…everything was done.

CV: Besides using demos, were there other methods of writing and recording you used that you would consider “not part of your normal” process?
Ross: No, it was just the demos this time. Once we were ready to go, we were recording. Usually you just bang it out in a rehearsal room. But we didn't do it this time. This was the normal process, so we were able to make lightning steps up and forward for the record from our demos.


CV: For you, what was the highlight of making this album compared to previous albums?
Ross: Well, this record was absolutely tremendous. Once we realized how good it was going to be, we just kept going and going and going. And, you know, these songs just started taking life…and it's an incredible record…it really is…and we're really, really proud of it.

CV: Touring seems to be an integral part of what you do and who you are as an artist. What drives you to tour so much? Is it the connection to the fan?
Ross: Yeah, well, you know, we got to get out there and we're the We got to get out there. We are the kind of band that has to play. Otherwise, you are moving backwards. I think our live show has been speaking for itself and people are loving it…they're expecting great things from it and they're getting it.


We’ve got to work. I mean, if you want to make some money, you know, and you’re not Iron Maiden (laughs) you’ve got to get out there and play. That's just the way it is. But it is an honor to play. It's an honor to be doing that and I thank you.

CV: Has there been anything in life that has rivaled your passion and dedication for playing guitar and performing live? Could you see yourself doing something different?
Ross: (Laughs) Never. You know, once I started playing when I was 13…14 years old, that was it for me. I just figured that I had an ability to communicate with people and when I played, people would listen to me…that's what has buoyed me through my life and my career. And as I said before, it's an honor to play.  I can see myself playing for a long time to come until I can't play anymore. And when it's time to do that, it will be time. But in the meantime it’s Kill City.

CV: Ross, is there one guitarist, past or present, who's had you scratching your head and your jaw dropped as you watched and listened in amazement?
Ross: Yeah…B.B. King was my idol in my life. B.B. King…Eric Clapton and Cream…Peter Townsend…you know, Tony Iommi… Chuck Berry… Jimi Hendrix. These guys are just the basis of Rock, you know. Obviously the great Metal players around… but I don't know them really and I'm not a huge fan, but they’re great, really. What can I say? It's the beginnings of how I played and why I played. And that's the music that I still listen to.


CV: As a veteran musician and songwriter, is being diverse in several styles and genres more beneficial to an artist as opposed to being only known for only one particular genre, sound or playing style in your opinion?
Ross: Absolutely…absolutely has been beneficial to me. Because I started as a Blues guitar player, I can basically play anything. And so I go from genre to genre. I’m gonna make a Blues album…I’m gonna do more Punk with the Dictators now…being able to play different styles has been a blessing to me. And not doing just one thing, which I think is frickin’ boring as hell. I don't know how they could do that…guys just play one thing their whole life. I don't know. I'm different.

CV: New album, sold out tour…what more can fans expect to see from you in 2020?
Ross: Well, of course you're going to get Ross the Boss “Born of Fire” on March 6, and a subsequent Euro tour in April with the Burning Witches and Asomvel…I’m sure that’s going to be an insane tour…it's going to be insane (laughs). They can't wait. And of course, the third Death Dealer record is going to be put out in the summer… dates to follow. The original Dictators are playing and recording as we speak…and who knows what's going to happen with that? Probably start booking shows or something…the original Dictators…and Shaken Street will be playing some shows at the end of the summer…we'll see what happens with that, but we did 15 shows in France last year.

CV: Thank you again Ross for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. It was a pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued success.
Ross: Well, thank you for asking me these questions. It's been a pleasure. And I hope to see you all on the road. Take care.

Check out Ross at:





Like The Cosmick View on Facebook at:

My name is Mick Michaels...I'm an artist, music fan, songwriter, producer, dreamer and guitarist for the traditional Heavy Metal band Corners of Sanctuary. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me; what I couldn't say in speech, I was able to do with the written word.  Writing has given me a voice and a way for me to create on a multitude of platforms including music and song, articles, independent screenplays, books and now, artist interviews. The Cosmick View is an opportunity to raise the bar and showcase artists in a positive and inspirational light. For me, it's another out-of-this-world adventure.








Want to see your logo here? Contact The Cosmick View for details and rates.









Comments