Interview with Blood Feast singer Chris Natalini



by Mick Michaels

Recently, I had the opportunity to sit and talk with long time friend and the lead singer of the band Blood FeastChris Natalini, about music, career and the band's new album, "The Future State of Wicked".

Hello Chris! Welcome to the inaugural interview for the newly launched Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.
Chris Natalini: Thank you so much for asking me. I appreciate it.

CV: How did you come to be the front person for Blood Feast?
CN: Adam, Tom and I have a mutual friend by the name of Tracey. My band at that time called Dawn of Correction had called it quits so I was on the lookout for something new. Since Tracey was good friends with both Adam and Tom, who were in another band together called Without End, she knew that Blood Feast had gotten a call to head to Germany to play Headbangers Open Air fest that July but they needed a singer.
I will never forget it…it was on a Sunday, she sent me a text that said "I have 2 questions..."1. Do you have a passport?  2. Do you want to audition for BF?"
I couldn't type fast enough; YES AND YES!!
She put me in touch with our then Guitar player John, he sent me the set list, I worked on 3 songs and went to the audition the next weekend. My first gig with Blood Feast was in front of 2,300 people in Germany that July.

CV: What do you think set you apart from the others who auditioned for the position?
CN: That’s hard to say from my point of view…lol. But, in the conversations that we have had over the years, one for sure was we all hit it off immediately. I had over 20 years of experience, I had made the sacrifices that sometimes you have to make and I had been on all sides of the business…roadie, booking agent, performer, stage manager...

CV: Being a replacement member in a band can be very difficult. There can be a lot of pressure with filling the previous member's shoes and living up to the fans’ expectations. And now with a new album out, how has it been for you with fan acceptance?
CN: It wasn’t easy at first. Gary had a unique style and sound.  But, I get it...I went into it knowing that I may get some shots taken at me but, I tried my best just to do the songs justice in my own way and style. I have kept some things on the recordings that he did just because some people sing it to me in his way when we play songs live.
 At this point I have been in BF longer then Gary…lol. But, now some time has passed, the acceptance is there, it's been positive and I am very thankful for that.

CV: The new album, “The Future State of Wicked”, has garnished some great reviews. How do you feel this record represents the band in today's industry?
CN: It represents us perfectly actually - fast, balls out furious, loud with a touch of old school.

CV: You’re listed on the album as writing the lyrics to the track “Nein”. How much input/creative contribution did you have with making this new record?
CN: When you have the original song writer from the early days, who wrote those classics, you let him do all the writing. LOL
Adam is very giving when it comes to others opinions/contributions. I would chime in when he asked but, for the most part Blood Feast is not Blood Feast without Adam and that’s the way it should be. This album is his time to shine, to make up for the screwing they gave him so many years ago. He is an amazing writer with a great ear for melodies and placements, so I didn't want or need to do much. When NEIN came around he didn’t really have lyrics and asked me if I wanted to write them and it just so happened I had things to say…LOL.

CV: How would you compare the new album to previous albums from Blood Feast?
CN: In my opinion, I think it's right up there with Kill For Pleasure but better than Chopping Block Blues. The same attitude is there for sure. Just balls out speed and fury. The new songs are a little bit more tighter LOL

CV: Blood Feast has an upcoming show with Obituary and Kreator at the TLA in your hometown Philadelphia. Can you tell us more about that?
CN: We are so stoked for this one. When the tour got announced we saw that they had planned on having some regional opening acts. So we hit up Hells Headbangers and asked them to point us in the right direction since one band on the tour "Midnight" is also on the label. We were hoping for Philly, NY and Boston but that didn’t happen. We're really looking forward to the Philly show and it's sort of a home coming for me.

CV: I personally know you have a diverse musical enthusiasm. How would you describe your Heavy Metal background?
CN: My background is really 80's hair metal and thrash. Although I love death metal, hair and thrash for me is where it is at.

CV: How do you feel that your diversity in musical tastes has helped shape your style and approach to creating music?
CN: In my opinion, I think that with anybody that is creative you are always going to take things from your influences. So, when you like different styles of music (in my case) you can pull things from all over. Maybe the melody of a vocal line comes from the old school glam days or a scream comes from the first Slayer record, a growl from the new Six Feet Under or maybe when I hear a riff, the feeling reminds me of hearing a Whitesnake song for the first time, ya know? Really, I think back to what did I like to hear in a song or a chorus so you try to recreate that magic and hope it gives the listener those same feelings.

CV: With a successful weekly internet radio show as a staple in your current career, tell us what the experience has been like. Why did you choose to host a weekly show?
CN: It really has been an amazing and fun time. Who doesn't want to hang out with your friends and talk metal, sex, listen to music and laugh for 3 plus hours. I am trying to get the show to switch to ALL TALK with just a few songs…LOL…I will keep you posted.
I choose to do it because I love to give back to the scene that has been so good to me. Playing up and coming bands, interviewing them and promoting them is a great feeling..I love it.

CV: Do you feel the radio show has opened new doors for you both personally and professionally?
CN: Yes, I do. When I was asked to do the show with my buddy Rich I swore to myself that I would be as honest as I can be no matter what. I wanted to let people hear a side of me they may not know. It also has been a great way to connect with the fans of Blood Feast. They tune into hear my stories or to hear more about me on a personal level.
 It gives me a place to share experiences in hopes that maybe a younger band might not make those mistakes. I have met some amazing people since I started on the show.

CV: What are your thoughts on the aging rocker in today’s music industry?
CN: I understand why people come down on it. The last thing you want to do is spend your money to see a band that is from back in the day and find out they can’t do it anymore and that sucks. But, I get why they do it. There isn't anything like being on that stage- it's like a drug. Now with social media and people uploading songs to Youtube, people are hearing these songs again or maybe for the first time. So why not make the money you missed out on so long ago. I am for it, just don't make me think I wasted my money.
CV: Biggest rock star moment?
CN: That is a tough one. The one that comes to mind is being in Japan for the True Thrash Fest and standing on stage, mic in hand, feedback is getting louder, the crowd is screaming and then....the curtain opens to a frenzy of bodies just headbanging and thrashing. A curtain...when was the last time you saw a band have a curtain…LOL
And then the fans waiting at our hotel and airport.

CV: Who would you like to collaborate with on a song or album?
CN: Oh wow…I would have to say Zetro from Exodus. He is one of my top 3 favorite singers. I have always loved his voice.

CV: Where do you see your music career going? Are there other things you plan to venture into or would like to do?
CN: I would like to one day have a talk show 'cause I love to talk. I love to talk to bands and hear the ups and downs, the road stories. I like to talk to people. As far as my career, I want to keep going & to see places I have only dreamed of seeing. I just put out my first vinyl so I am ready for this thing to keep moving up and forward. I know that I am not going to make a living off of this but I am willing to keep going until I can't any longer.

CV: What do you feel are your strengths?
CN: Strengths? Hmmm..I guess I would say my willingness to keep going after all these years. Even though sometimes I have gotten or get frustrated, I have never questioned what I do. I love what I do. I love making music, love playing live, meeting fans, that’s what it's about for me. So the time that the band takes up in my life I never think twice about it.

CV: What do you feel aren't?
CN: One of them is I don't really relax when it comes to shows. At the venue I pace, worry, stress out. Once I am on stage I am good, but leading up to it, a mess...LOL…instead of just enjoying the moment. I am getting better!

CV: What's next for Blood Feast?
CN: Well, this summer we go back to Germany for the 3rd time to play the Headbangers Open Air.   Play more shows, travel and start to write the next BF record.

CV: What's next for Chris?
CN: The same really…travel, play more shows, meet fans, watch Adam write the next BF record LOL

CV: Anything else you like to say or promote?
CN: ABSOLUTELY
First and foremost thank you to all the BF fans worldwide for your constant support and love for this band. Make sure if you come to see us you say HELLO!!!
And thank you bro for this interview!!!

CV: Thank you again Chris for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and much success!

Check out Chris and Blood Feast online at:
Check out my death metal band: WWW.SEEDSOFPERDITION.COM
Check out my radio show THE BROTHERS GRIMM on WWW.THATMETALSTATION.COM



Join us at The Cosmick View Facebook page at:
www.facebook.com/TheCosmickView

Comments