Interview with Held Hostage Guitarist Tom Collier



by Mick Michaels


COSMICK VIEW: Hello Tom! Welcome to the Cosmick View. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to chat with me, it is greatly appreciated.

CV: What drives you to continue to create?
Tom Collier: I think what drives me most of all my love of writing and creating music. It is a feeling that I cannot describe. When you are creating a song and it all comes together you are like wow it was all worth it.

CV: Was music your first love? 
TC: Yes absolutely music was my first love.  As long as I can remember music has been a big part of my life.

CV: Would you say music has made you the person you are today?
TC: Yes I would say that it did shape me into the person I am. All the people and lifelong friendships I have made through music is something that I will always cherish.

CV: Could you see yourself doing something completely different other than music? If so, what would that be?
TC: Yes I could. Because I love to travel, I think it would be something in the travel industry. Like back in the 80's the guy that did lifestyles of the rich and famous. I think I should be the host of that show…LOL

CV: Which artist has inspired you the most?
TC: Many artists inspired me. I would have to say Randy Rhodes was the biggest influence.

CV: Non artist…who has been your biggest influence?
TC: That’s easy…my Mother. She always encouraged me to do what I loved and not worry what other’s thought.


CV: Was/Is your family supportive with your musical pursuits?
TC: Yes, my whole family was very supportive of my music and including my son. He is older now attends all of my concerts. It’s a great feeling having the support of the ones who mean the most to you.

CV: What do you find inspires your music the most as a songwriter?
TC: I am inspired by many things…but true life events are really what most of the music is about. I think people are able to relate to this band because the music is something they have experienced or know about.

CV: What's your go to album for motivation? Why that album?
TC: Ozzy’s Blizzard of Ozz. Randy Rhodes did such incredible guitar work. The whole album is great and well written.

CV: Some of your favorite artists... past and present, who are they?
TC: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorpions, The Rods, Ross The Boss band, and Tom Petty.

CV: The one album you feel every Metalhead should own and why? 
TC: The Rods, Wild Dogs….the Album just flat out rocks. The Rods are a very innovative band, and were ahead of their time.


CV: What do you consider is a defining moment in Heavy Metal history and why is it significant… how did it impact the genre?
TC: I would say the defining moment for me, was when Main Stream radio starting playing bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, UFO, Pantera… it allowed fans to open up to heavy metal. This was pre-internet/satellite radio, when you didn’t have choices.

CV: Who would you like to work with if given the opportunity?
TC: Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin, He is such a great singer and I would love to collaborate with him.

CV: What do you feel are the top three things it takes to make it in the music business as an artist?
TC: The Number 1 thing is great songs, without them you really do not have a chance. Number 2 is have thick skin. You have to be able to take constructive criticism and not just feel like the world is against you. In most instances they are trying to help. Number three is, stay true to your music and believe in it and your band mates. If you believe in something, others will start believing and good things will happen.


CV: There has been a lot of remarks among established rockers these days regarding young, up and coming bands, that they don't stand a chance at making a career with music into today's industry... what do you think?  
TC: I take the opposite thought process. I think new bands can make it. They are so technologically advanced now. They have so many different outlets, for their music to be heard through.

CV: As an artist, what do you feel are your strengths?
TC: My biggest strength is song writing. I think it’s important be able to write your own music. Over the years my music has evolved but stayed true to who I am.

CV: What do you think separates bands of today from bands of the past?
TC: Technology, Bands from the past like us. We had to struggle and to put out an album because of the cost. You really needed a record label behind you.  Bands today have state of the art home recording studios. You can buy your own studio for less then cost to record an album.

CV: With so many iconic women eligible for induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of fame, such as Cher, Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon many among others, why do you think they are being overlooked?
TC: To me that is totally baffling. All three of them deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of fame. I think maybe it is time they change the members on the board to make it more about the music/artist. Instead of what those people on the board want.


CV: We hear so much negative commentary regarding today's overall music industry. What's your take on it? Is Rock really dead?
TC: No Rock is far from dead. If anything I am seeing a resurgence of rock music. Our CD sales and Merchandise sales are going through the roof. I think rock music will start thriving even more over time.

CV: What’s next for you?
TC: Next for Held Hostage are big things. New CD with some of Rocks biggest names including Iconic singer Joe Lynn Turner (Deep Purple, Rainbow, Joe Lynn Turner Band), Rock Legend Carl Canedy drumming (The Rods, Canedy, ST James) and producing (Anthrax, The Rods, Overkill etc) on our CD. Along with a few of rocks other big names to be featured on the CD. We are going to be playing some great outdoor concerts. So stay tuned Held Hostage is just getting ready to steamroll 2018,

CV: Thank you again Tom for spending some time talking and sharing with our readers. I wish you all the best and continued success with all your projects.

Check out Tom and Held Hostage at:
https://www.heldhostageband.com/

Comments